Talk

Advanced search

advice please...if I move nursery's when ds in 18 months do you think he'd adapt?

(9 Posts)
WhyTheHeckMe Fri 31-Mar-17 23:01:24

Basically ds has been in nursery since he was 10 months.
He absolutely loves it there and it's ideal as I drive past it on my commute to work however I've had issues from the beginning.
Lots of things but a few to summarise..
1. I feel the food is very poor. Often have beans on toast 3x a week. Only one portion of fruit/veg all day etc
2. No written communication about his day. Can't tell me if he's slept or what he's eaten as the staff move around the rooms. Had to buy a book off ebay for them to fill out
3. Was always having to sign accident book on collection as he'd been hurt or bitten badly at least once or twice a week
4. His key worker only worked there 2 of the days he attends and was miserable as sin
5. The outdoor space they have is about 3mx3m and they'll only go outside in good weather
6. I don't feel it's hygenic. They eats snacks sat on the floor (often picked him up while he's eating a sandwich that's on the floor) but they all wear shoes in the same part of the room
7. Kept applying sudocrem which I had asked them not to use specifically as it irritated him a lot.

I did have a lengthy meeting with the manager about many of the above points and things did improve ie. No more sudocrem, I now get a diary etc. But the poor food, poor hygiene, very little time outdoors etc is all the same.

I've finally managed to get a space in a very good nursery which will cost £90 more a month and is out of my way on the commute but only 10 mins.
It'll be available in a couple of months and he'll be 18 months old.
Me and dh would move him tomorrow.
But the most imoort thing to me is my boys happiness and he absolutely loved the nursery and he has a few kids he gets on with really well there too
I know he's only very little so I'm probably reading too much into it but can any nursery staff or other parents tell me if you think he'd be okay if we move him?

Is it uncommon for them to become really unsettled?
I really don't know what to do for the best and I'm due to pay the £150 deposit to hold the place on Monday!
Thanks

BackforGood Sat 01-Apr-17 01:02:00

Most 18month olds will cope with a lovely new Nursery without a problem smile
Definitely worth the move for your own peace of mind.

HSMMaCM Sat 01-Apr-17 08:21:52

He might be upset initially, but he will soon settle. Don't worry.

Morien Sat 01-Apr-17 08:24:57

We moved ours at 18 months, not from choice but because her CM moved away, and she settled really quickly into her new nursery.

Bubbinsmakesthree Sat 01-Apr-17 08:30:49

18mo isn't generally a bad age for adapting to new environments in my experience. You'll probably have to endure a bit of settling in time when you might doubt yourself but chances are high that he'll be just as happy in the new environment.

If it's somewhere he'll stay until he's 3-4 I would do it without hesitation for the issues you mention.

AnotherYellowBelly Sat 01-Apr-17 08:51:08

I moved mine at just past 18months and he's been absolutely fine! I talked to him lots about his new nursery. I had similar issues to you and I made the right choice to move him. At his old nursery at 2 they moved into a different room so I wanted to move him before then

insancerre Sat 01-Apr-17 08:56:10

Yes, children cope with change
It's likely he will be moving soon anyway into the next room
Outdoor space is massively important in a nursery
Recent government advice is that young children are active for at least 3 hours a day
Which isn't easy to do when stuck inside

WhyTheHeckMe Sat 01-Apr-17 16:13:33

Thanks so much for the feedback, you know ive not even considered the fact he'll be moving rooms later this year which I guess is a similar thing as he'll be in a different building anyway!

My mind is made up, I'm definitely going to switch him
Thanks again :-)

rosethorn76 Sun 16-Apr-17 16:52:17

Have to say points 2 3 and 7 are pretty common occurrences in most settings but I'd be v concerned about the food and little outdoor play.

Your instinct is likely right. Go for it!

My son has been to 3 nurseries in 8 months and is totally fine. Went through separation and moved house etc and he rolled with it. Kids are a lot more resilient that we are smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now