Talk

Advanced search

Would I be mad to...

(14 Posts)
ACubed Fri 31-Mar-17 12:29:48

Take a job working in the same room as my baby?
He's 14 months, doesn't fine at nursery, quite independent etc
Nursery is v nice, five minutes walk from my house
He'd move to the next room in less than ten months, and I really want the job.
Anyone with experience of this? I know it's not ideal but do you think it could work?
Really in a quandary!

Bubblysqueak Fri 31-Mar-17 12:31:11

The nurse may not allow it. I know the nurseries I have worked at in the past haven't allowed it and always do a reshuffle of staff to avoid this happening.

Bubblysqueak Fri 31-Mar-17 12:31:55

Nursery blush stupid auto correct.

ACubed Fri 31-Mar-17 12:32:49

They have said it's fine if I'm not happy with it

NerrSnerr Fri 31-Mar-17 12:33:01

The nursery I send my daughter to don't allow it, if a nursery nurse's child moves into a room the parent works in the nurse is moved to another room.

ACubed Fri 31-Mar-17 12:33:05

If I am happy with it!

NerrSnerr Fri 31-Mar-17 12:34:28

Sorry- cross post. I guess it depends how fair you think you'll be. Will you be able to give equal attention and discipline equally?

As another parent I would be a bit uncomfortable with it as I'd worry my child would be overlooked.

ACubed Fri 31-Mar-17 12:35:58

I've occasionally covered the baby room at my current setting and if anything I give him less attention as I'm so worried about favouritism but that's a good point about the parents, thanks

ACubed Fri 31-Mar-17 12:36:27

Also maybe if this nursery are ok with it that sounds a bit of a worry

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 31-Mar-17 12:37:42

It sounds ideal actually in terms of working to fit around your son. I'm sure you won't be neglecting the other babies in your care. Would a trial period help? The nursery may consider that.

ACubed Fri 31-Mar-17 12:38:49

That's a good idea ! Thanks

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 31-Mar-17 12:39:30

There are plenty of childminders looking after their own pre schoolers as well as other children. I don't see it as a huge issue.

ClodTheGoat Fri 31-Mar-17 12:45:40

Which bit of it worries you? The effect on your son?

I would feel a bit dubious if my child's keyworker had their own child in the room. In fact at one point the nursery manager's child was in the same room as mine and I couldn't decide if it was good cos room would be extra diligent or bad cos my child might be overlooked. It was fine in reality.

I wonder if it would be weird for your colleagues to work alongside you and look after your child with you there.

ACubed Fri 31-Mar-17 18:56:39

I was thinking mainly it might be hard for him if I'm in and out doing nappies etc, and hard and distracting for me if he cried a lot. Might be weird for other staff but I always think you shouldn't change how you are with the children when parents are there, if that makes sense. Thanks for all the replies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now