Talk

Advanced search

My 2 year old wasn't even fazed by first day at nursery!

(18 Posts)
Ray33 Tue 28-Feb-17 13:49:33

i left my son for the first time at nursery today for an hour, he ran straight in exploring and playing with other children, I quietly left and when I came back to pick him up he was absolutely fine. He vaguely acknowledged me when the nursery staff told him I was there but was more interested in finishing his snack. When hes at home he always prefers to be with me and can sometimes be clingy. From what I've read from other parents on here their children become very upset and anxious when their parent leaves them for the first time,although I'm pleased he wasn't distressed I'm wondering if others have had the same reaction from their child?

esiotrot2015 Tue 28-Feb-17 13:53:14

Yes mine loved it from day one

Now they're at school and go to after school club & are not so keen !

AppleMagic Tue 28-Feb-17 13:55:01

Sometimes it can take a few days to sink in. Both of mine loved nursery almost immediately but what little upset we did have was on days 3-5.

Somehowsomewhere Tue 28-Feb-17 13:57:23

DD1 was exactly the same.

insancerre Sat 04-Mar-17 06:58:42

I currently have a 2 year old in my nursery who screams at drop off and is unsettled during the day
Her first settling in session was fine, she didn't cry and was happy for the hour
Be prepared for tears when he realises it's a regular thing and you are leaving him
2 year olds are very unpredictable

TupperwareTat Sat 04-Mar-17 07:04:43

My DD couldn't care less.
She's all over me indoors though & still co-sleeps at times. But once we are out the door, she's off!

Somehowsomewhere Sat 04-Mar-17 07:05:07

I kept waiting for mine to realise what was going on and start objecting, it never happened! She's been going a year now and still happily sprints in. Her key worker always says she would know something was seriously wrong if she cried at drop off!

Somehowsomewhere Sat 04-Mar-17 07:05:30

And mine co sleeps too!

imip Sat 04-Mar-17 07:05:53

Yes, at 2 my dd told me to leave 5 mins into her settling in session!

I was not so fortunate with her 3 younger sistersgrin

SausageFarmer Sat 04-Mar-17 07:18:07

Nope, my daughter screamed the place down for an hour! Kept it up for a while

Somehowsomewhere Sat 04-Mar-17 08:12:33

Yes imip, I don't think DD2 is going to be quite so amenable! She's a completely different more difficult character. Sleeps all night in her own cot though so it's swings and roundabouts wink

Trinpy Sat 04-Mar-17 08:18:08

Yep, ds1 never had any problems. I wish I'd started him sooner really because he's absolutely thrived there.

I think ds2 will be trickier to settle in.

Frazzled2207 Sat 04-Mar-17 08:19:43

Ha! Mine were upset for ages but were about 10-11 months at a time which is awkward from a separation anxiety time.

SallyGinnamon Sat 04-Mar-17 08:26:17

DS did exactly the same thing and loved nursery the whole time he was there.

DD hated it, was still crying an hour after I'd gone (sat in my car) and was still doing that 10 months in. That's why I threw in the towel and became a SAHM!

mumonashoestring Sat 04-Mar-17 08:29:48

DS went straight in, found a toy bus to play with and never looked back!

kel1234 Sat 04-Mar-17 09:06:56

My lo goes to a childminder, but same thing.
He was so happy even at settling in. In fact he was so happy that we chose to leave him for his 2nd settling in period (originally we would have stayed for more, but less time every session). But he was so happy we never stayed the full time once.
Even on his first day he didn't cry, crawled off to play, and was so happy.
Thankfully that's continued.

ElisavetaFartsonira Tue 07-Mar-17 18:58:41

Mine didn't give a shit when starting at that age either.

SauvignonGrower Tue 07-Mar-17 19:00:43

Neither of mine were bothered about me leaving them at 2 and a half. Doing a 3 hour session at that age isn't such a big deal I guess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now