Talk

Advanced search

48 hour rule

(14 Posts)
CakeyCake Thu 23-Feb-17 09:30:58

DS1 been turned away this morning for V&D under 48 hour rule.
He goes tues and thurs morning each week. On tues when he was there he had loose poo. I never saw one and do not know how loose but he does sometimes have looser ones. He lady with him was not his usual lady and she doesn't know him as well as his key worker (who would probably have been more able to tell me in comparison to his normal ones). His dad has confessed he gave him lots of milk during night wakings to bribe him back to sleep on Monday and also he has big teeth coming at the back (red cheeks, dribbling, chewing).
Nursery had V&D bug last week and they are being v strict. Can appreciate this but he is not ill. He has had no symptoms of anything with me whatsoever. No fever, loose poo, no vomiting etc. Nothing. He's not even been remotely not himself, he has been just as spirited as he normally is. I know my son, he is not and was not ill. It was 42 hours at start of this mornings session yet not allowed in. Am I being crazy to think it is a bit OTT considering the circumstances? I have a newborn and I'm not coping, I rely on these sessions and don't want to be upset for no reason but I haven't stopped crying really since we got back. I get very little help and live quite far from people which is why I send him in. I didn't send him last week off my own back through fear he would pick up said V&D (and it was the worst week I've had since DS2 was born) so I've been hyper vigilant looking for it and he is not ill at all. Please be gentle with me if you think I'm being irrational. I appreciate their position but don't agree.

HSMMaCM Thu 23-Feb-17 15:32:15

They are right to be vigilant about D&V. I'm sure you're happy for other children to stay away, so your dc don't get ill and remember if the staff get ill, the nursery will close.

It's hard for nursery to distinguish between a child who's teething and a child who's ill, as a child who is teething could also be ill

CakeyCake Thu 23-Feb-17 15:57:19

I know you are right. I just feel that considering he wasn't showing any signs of illness aside from loose poo and it's been 42 hours they'd be a bit less OTT. I completely understand their position, but when you are trying so hard to make it through the day and not coping that one morning can mean your sanity and it really tipped me over the edge.

Thanks for your reply, appreciate the balance and knew in my head it was going to be the answer, just needed someone to say it if that makes sense.

HSMMaCM Thu 23-Feb-17 16:54:29

No problem. I know how hard it can be. Their policies may help you avoid going through this again too soon.

Ankleswingers Sat 25-Feb-17 08:03:07

I agree with them I'm afraid. There are, unfortunately, many arseholes parents who lie about their children's health, and will bring them into School or Nursery when they're unwell. It's disgraceful but it happens.

It's irresponsible and selfish but they just don't give a shit. Not about their own child or anyone else's either.

Whilst I understand your position, IMO, they did the right thing.

EdenX Sat 25-Feb-17 08:13:16

They are being OTT on one loose poo IMO.

SaorAlbaGuBrath Sat 25-Feb-17 08:20:34

While I do think they're being a little over cautious, and I'm sorry you're having a rough time at the moment, nurseries do have to be uber vigilant. Our nursery currently has 18 kids and 4 staff members off with severe D&V because a Mum valued her "me time" more than the safety of the other kids.
Before I get flamed, she was heard by all of us saying that to the head when challenged about why she'd brought her child in so much poorly. He didn't go into the class but it was enough for people to get sick.

SaorAlbaGuBrath Sat 25-Feb-17 08:20:58

So much poorly? So poorly. Fucking autocorrect!

twocockers Sat 25-Feb-17 08:29:10

But they don't know 100% that it was just one loose poo. A parent who is trying to send their child back early is hardly going to tell the truth. Not saying that's what happened in this case, but we all know the parents who feel the rules don't actually apply to them so will send their child back after a shorter time which then ends up spreading it around.

Chinnygirl Sat 25-Feb-17 08:35:31

The problem is the parents who send their sick child in. Because of this they have to be strict.

PotteringAlong Sat 25-Feb-17 08:37:37

I don't agree with them at all - one loose poo seems ridiculous. It's 3 at my son's nursery and, even then, if they're teething etc and clearly not ill then it's ok. The nursery has never shut for illness of staff in the 5 years I've used it.

nousernamehere Sat 25-Feb-17 08:39:56

They have to be strict like this because so many parents just lie and will say it was just once/they were car sick/ate too much when in actual fact they had a bug and are sent to playgroup subsequently infecting other kids at the setting.

I do understand how frustrating it is though as I have a child who vomits if he overeats and who has various intolerances that lead to a dodgy tummy if he eats too much. I had a chat with our nursery about this and once I'd explained things they were a lot more accommodating.

CottonSock Sat 25-Feb-17 08:40:19

I would be upset too. Try and distract yourself and plan something for today as a treat?

qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Sat 25-Feb-17 08:47:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now