Talk

Advanced search

How long does this go on for?!

(12 Posts)
QueenRefusenik Tue 21-Feb-17 15:41:41

DS started nursery in January at almost exactly 12 months, and he's basically been ill ever since. I'd been told they pick up lots of bugs at first, it's good for their immune system, yadda yadda. I'm not blaming the nursery, I appreciate toddlers are going to share their germs, but DS is still recovering from the most recent bug, a nasty dose of gastro, I'm still in full... Um... 'flood' and I don't know how much more I can take! Sleep has gone out the window together with our grand plan of weaning ds off the breast and I am rapidly running out of annual leave (though at least I am officially sick instead at the moment... Hooray...).

Did your dcs have this, and if so how long did this phase last for you?

user1483387154 Tue 21-Feb-17 15:43:00

Its normal for the first 3-4 months and can be longer

NickyEds Tue 21-Feb-17 15:51:05

Ds started pre school last year (he had just turned two)and between January and July he had, Impetigo, hand foot and mouth, slapped cheek, chicken pox, vomiting bug and a semi permanent cold. Started back in September and has had 1 day off since then. I think the first 6 months are the most infectious.

QueenRefusenik Tue 21-Feb-17 15:53:44

Oh God. He's better end up with the constitution of a bloody ox!

Jenniferb21 Tue 21-Feb-17 15:56:23

I'm afraid my godson was unwell with colds, coughs, ear infection and a series of chest infection for a good 4-5 months on and off. I'm sending my DS 10 months to nursery soon dreading this as I'm only paid statutory sick pay and have to pay the nursery if he's off sick so going to be broke if he needs time off.

Hope your LO recovers soon xxxx

Summerdays2014 Wed 22-Feb-17 12:56:13

My son started in January at a year old. He has been ill ever since. We've had to pick him up twice due to a fever and he has had a cough and cold non stop. I've taken him to the doctor loads of times but they just say it's 'a virus' each time, but seriously how many virus' can one baby have in 2 months? I must admit I'm getting a bit worried. OP, I hope he's better soon, it's grim when they're ill.

TeaBelle Wed 22-Feb-17 12:58:31

Dd was ull from starting in October and is just getting less so now in Feb. She had every other week off for the first 3 months!

welshweasel Wed 22-Feb-17 13:03:58

DS has been at nursery for 9 months now and has been off once with a fever. He's had a snotty nose for months but not actually been unwell with it.

HSMMaCM Wed 22-Feb-17 22:08:16

Look on the bright side. Less likely to get ill when starting school.

CakeyCake Thu 23-Feb-17 09:33:36

DS1 had 6 months of it including a hospital stay and very vicious hand foot and mouth. He gets colds now but doesn't bat an eyelid. Some kids get past it quicker, it should ease at the end of flu and cold season.

QueenRefusenik Thu 23-Feb-17 13:57:18

Well at least it's not just us! Hopefully it will ease up in the next few weeks. It's horrible watching him suffer almost constantly (and even worse to catch everything off him!).

I think he's on the mend slowly, though the diarrhoea has started up again today and the cold has turned into a horrible cough that is keeping us awake most of the night... DP picked a great time to be away for work. He owes me BIG time!

mistermagpie Thu 23-Feb-17 14:01:54

It does go on for a while. DS started nursery last July and basically had loads of illnesses and and bugs for ages, things like sickness bugs, colds and hand foot and mouth but also tonsilitis and an ear infection (not sure if they are contagious though but I think his immune system was in shock!) plus some random 'viral' symptoms.

I'd say it's only been since Christmas that he's been consistantly well to be honest, so we had a good six months of it. It's awful for them obviously, but when you have just gone back to work it's not great to have to keep taking time off either. I had to use annual leave and rope MIL in to help some days because nursery couldn't take him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now