Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

WWYD

(7 Posts)
StylishDuck Sun 15-Jan-17 15:08:24

DD goes to a private nursery 2.5 days a week. She loves it, we love it, she's very happy there. She will be 2 in a few weeks and we need to apply for her government funded nursery hours by the end of next month. She's entitled to 15h pw, we're in Scotland, not sure if it's the same elsewhere.

Her current nursery does have spaces for the funded hours and she would be pretty much guaranteed a place as she already goes there. However, it is not near the school she will likely go to. We picked this nursery because it is near my mum and she would therefore be available to do emergency pick ups if me or DH got held up at work. It's not far away, about 5-10 mins drive. I think it highly unlikely that she'll be going to the same school as any of her classmates if she stayed there.

The local council nurseries all have very good reports and I would be happy for her to go to any of them. But they only offer either 5 mornings or 5 afternoons a week which would require some juggling with childcare for the remaining time (we both work FT). It's doable though. The council nurseries are only open during term time. So we would also need to find alternative childcare during the school holidays. (I appreciate this will also be a issue when she goes to school).

Given all the above, would you keep her in the current nursery or try to get her into a nursery closer to school?

Sorry this is so long. It's just a really tricky decision. I can't be the only one with this problem though!

TIA smile

AgentProvocateur Sun 15-Jan-17 15:22:03

Current nursery. there will be others in P1 who've bern to a private nursery, and they'll all make friends quickly.

Dizzywizz Sun 15-Jan-17 15:36:26

Current nursery. Ds1 was at private nursery and still a few of his friends went to the same school, not his closest friends but he has made new friends anyway!

StewieGMum Sun 15-Jan-17 15:42:43

Current nursery. Many of the kids in P1 will have come from other private nurseries or been in different morning/ afternoon sessions at council nurseries. They soon make friends quickly. smile

Groovee Sun 15-Jan-17 16:53:19

I've worked in P1 and a lot of children come to school from private nursery. My Dd went to school nursery because I was at home at that point. When Ds went he was at a childminder who was local and dropped him off.

I would keep her where she is as they do make friends quickly in P1

BikeRunSki Sun 15-Jan-17 16:55:14

I agree with sticking to the current nursery, for the reasons given.

StylishDuck Sun 15-Jan-17 17:37:57

Wow. Unanimous! Thank you so much for all your replies. I suppose my main concern was that I didn't want her to be the wee girl that didn't know anyone on her first day. But you're all right in that she probably won't be the only one. It's just so hard to think about it when she's still so tiny!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now