Talk

Advanced search

Nursery Waiting Lists (SW8 London) - Scaremongering?

(4 Posts)
theprecious Wed 21-Feb-07 12:58:29

Hi all,

I am 21 weeks pregnant, I plan to be off with DS for a year or so then go back to work part time, with DS going to a local nursery. (Touch wood etc etc).

Women who have children at my work are saying that good nurseries have TWO YEAR waiting lists! They are suggesting that I start looking now to put my/DS name down for 18months hence.

Is this crazy? I don't want to look like a loony when looking for a nursery when I haven't even got a child yet. However, I don't want to miss the boat either.

Any up to date info much appreciated.

Thanks
TP

bossykate Wed 21-Feb-07 13:02:18

it's not remotely unusual to start looking for nurseries when you are pregnant. that's what i did and i had a place sorted for ds early on. it was such a relief - no last minute scrabbling for a solution as the return to work date looms. your colleagues might be exaggerating somewhat but i would say you would be well advised to start looking now.

btw am in london, nursery we chose is in sw4.

hth.

CristinaTheAstonishing Wed 21-Feb-07 13:08:24

It's incredible, isn't it? Are you sure you'll be in the same area 2 years down the line? It would be a shame to register the baby at 2-3 nurseries at £50 per registration, plus the deposit some ask you to pay when they offer you a place. I paid £500 deposit for my DD almost one year in advance. I'd have had to say good-bye to the money if we hadn't taken up the place.

theprecious Thu 22-Feb-07 11:20:34

Excellent - thanks for the info. Next stop a thread asking for recommendations in my area!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now