Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

but does your nursery let your 2 year old play with scissors & marbles?

(7 Posts)
greyriver Tue 20-Feb-07 21:58:13

- albeit VERY blunt rounded scissors, and the keyworkers are 4 children (aged 2-4yo) per adult keyworker, but on our 'settling in' period, my DD picked a pair up (scissors) from the group she was playing with and walked to me with them yes they can hardly cut anything but even so i have to say i was quite shocked.
But are they actually anymore dangerous than say a pencil? To which i wouldnt have battered an eyelid to??
But marbles????? I would never let DD play with marbles, I am frightened i am now looking like some crap over protective mother, as DD did nothing with them (and when she plays every day in our garden that is full of gravel in places....)
Sorry its just shes my only child. i dunno, am i over-reacting? please set my mind at ease cos my DH cant seem to. xx

morocco Tue 20-Feb-07 22:01:29

all I know is at ds' playgroup, they have scissors (those really blunt crappy ones) but no way anything like marbles. ds1 (well me really) got told off for taking money to nursery one time cos other kids could have swallowed it so they are pretty up on that kind of thing (he'd sneaked it in btw)
why not speak to them about it and see what they say?

Lullabyloo Tue 20-Feb-07 22:12:58

my ds is 2.5 & he has a set of marbles that he had for christmas & he uses blunt scissors.

edam Tue 20-Feb-07 22:17:15

I'm surprised by the marbles, tbh.

My ds is now 3.5 and we were not quite told off by the teacher at his nursery school at parents evening a few weeks ago because he had no idea how to use scissors. (We did get him a plastic pair ages ago but they were so crap they just tore paper and we never got round to buying the metal blunt ones).

hairymclary Tue 20-Feb-07 22:18:22

ds isn't as nursery but I don't think i'd be at all bothered if he was playing with marbles and blunt scissors.
he has scissors at home, and lots of toys that are smaller than marbles

taffy101 Tue 20-Feb-07 22:23:17

i'm surprised at the marbles. not sure if it would bother me tho. I only just bought dd some elc toddler scissors and she's 3.5, the blunt crappy ones wouldn't have bothered my. DDs playgroup are bit ott protective - if playdo goes on floor it gets thrown away in case a kid eats it. fgs where have all their grotty fingers been that go in it!

LowFatMilkshake Tue 20-Feb-07 22:24:44

The health and safety risk assesment should ensure that children a re only paying with toys suitable for thier age, and I am sorry but marbles should only be for 3yrs and over - and even then I would not be happy unless fully supervised!

Scissors, if plastic and blunt are not too bad, but still not really suitable for the unde 3's

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now