Talk

Advanced search

Cost of Busy Bees nursery in London?

(50 Posts)
Marmalade85 Sun 01-Jan-17 21:08:45

My one year old is currently in full time childcare with a childminder but she is extortionate so I'm looking to move my son to a new Busy Bees nursery opening in South East London. I can't find any info regarding typical fees. How much would a daily/monthly rate be please?

ImNotReallyReal Sun 01-Jan-17 21:18:17

Baby room about £900 a month full time, but If you're in an expensive area expect £1000 to £1200 a month. Sorry 😐

Marmalade85 Sun 01-Jan-17 21:20:46

Thank you. currently pay £350 per week for a childminder so that's actually a lot cheaper. Childminder doesn't provide food or nappies or milk and even tries to charge me for petrol to go up the road and I have to pay her holiday and sick pay even though she is self employed. Was desperate when I met her and she's taken me for a ride.

Iggity Sun 01-Jan-17 21:27:48

I used them in West London and I think rate was about 65 a day. This was over 4 yrs ago so expect it has increased.

Iggity Sun 01-Jan-17 21:29:36

Bear in mind you have to also pay if you go on holidays and if child is sick so no different from a childminder in that respect although they only close for the bank holidays. The one I used did not provide nappies; just food.

Marmalade85 Sun 01-Jan-17 21:33:07

Thank you. My childminder expects me to pay her for the 4 weeks she takes off hmm and full pay if she is sick. At least a nursery is almost always open.

ImNotReallyReal Sun 01-Jan-17 21:46:36

Just to add, my nursery has charity status in East London and charge £975 a month for baby room (so profits go back into business), drops to £875 when they move up to toddler room (mine are full time).

Local Montessori place is £1450 a month and drops by £50 a month when they move up a room. Apparently it costs £400 to feed them?

Most can drop price if you are eligible for rebate. My local Montessori put those children in a scout hut on the park away from paying parents but advertise themselves as Outstanding. Total BS. Message me if you want name.

No nappies/wipes included at my nursery but all food was provided and they come home clean and 'stuffed' and refuse to eat.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Sun 01-Jan-17 21:51:08

Not in London, but we are the south east. We paid approx £55 a day for DS in our local Busy Bees a couple of years ago. DS loved it there. It covered from 7.30am til 6.30pm and included all meals, snacks, drinks (other than formula), nappies, wipes and sun cream.

Marmalade85 Sun 01-Jan-17 21:53:00

Thank you. My childminder has asked for £1750 for January as it's a 5 week month. I'm a single parent and that's almost my entire monthly salary after tax. She quoted me £100 for overnight care on top of the day rate shock amazing how you can make even more money while asleep.

Rockmegently Sun 01-Jan-17 21:57:42

Does she care for your one year old baby overnight? I'm not sure you will find a nursery that will do that.

Marmalade85 Sun 01-Jan-17 22:01:47

No I went away for a work party overnight so asked her if she would be able to care for him overnight and she quoted me £100 per night so I told her to forget it. I looked online and £50 is a more normal rate.

ImNotReallyReal Sun 01-Jan-17 22:15:00

£1750 for a chilmimider?

Badhairday1001 Sun 01-Jan-17 22:15:15

Do you just use her for standard hours? A nursery would possibly be a bit cheaper but much less flexible. I think she can charge what she wants for overnight as its an additional service, I've never known any childminders offer overnight stays.

QuandryQueen Sun 01-Jan-17 22:16:31

I think you could definetly find a cheaper Childminder.

ImNotReallyReal Sun 01-Jan-17 22:16:56

Childminder....sp sorry?

Marmalade85 Sun 01-Jan-17 22:25:41

Yes I pay £350 per week. She has my son from 7.30 - 19.00 five days per week. Im definitely looking for someone cheaper as it's just ridiculous and depressing me greatly.

Wolfiefan Sun 01-Jan-17 22:27:09

You may find a nursery doesn't offer those hours though.

QuandryQueen Sun 01-Jan-17 22:29:51

A Nanny would surely cost less than that!

Marmalade85 Sun 01-Jan-17 22:32:26

A nanny costs even more because you have to pay their tax etc. The problem is that my hours are so long. I'm a single parent and really struggling to work out a solution.

Iizzyb Sun 01-Jan-17 22:36:39

Our busy bees is in Yorkshire and £52 a day. Open 7.30 til 6. I use one of the staff for babysitting as well. They are open except for bank hols. Price never changed when staff ratios reduced.

They do a reduction for full time places. You do pay all year regardless of when you take hols. Up here 0-2 get nappies provided. I used to send in formula but once ds was 12 months old they just gave him cows milk. They provided wipes. They are really on the ball so I would imagine they can tell you the costs & opening date etc now. Can you keep in touch with childminder in case you ever need later cover/overnight in the future?

FuzzyOwl Sun 01-Jan-17 22:38:34

Busy Bees here (Surrey/Hampshire border) is £74 per day although there is a slight reduction if you have full time care.

trilbydoll Sun 01-Jan-17 22:38:48

Busy Bees don't all charge the same. We've got two within 5 miles, one is £58 a day and one is £75. Quite a big difference!

I think you'll struggle to find anything to cover those hours though. How about a nursery near work?

Badhairday1001 Sun 01-Jan-17 22:41:51

It does sound expensive but you use her for a lot of hours. When you work out the hourly rate it's about £6 per hour. I hope you get something sorted, it must be really hard as a single parent working those hours and then having to pay out most of your wages on childcare. Would you be able to go part time and you may be entitled to some tax credits and it would reduce your childcare. You may not actually end up worse off. Good luck!

Marmalade85 Sun 01-Jan-17 22:47:50

Bad hair yes I was thinking this. If I dropped a day at work that would save around £300pcm on the childcare bill but then I assume my salary would go down but would it then be topped up by tax credits? I have no idea.

QuandryQueen Sun 01-Jan-17 22:51:40

Do you claim for help towards your childcare? As a lone parent I'm pretty sure you can get up to 70% of your childcare bill back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now