30 hours of free childcare for families with 3 under 5yos?

(17 Posts)
aimees75 Wed 09-Nov-16 13:06:11

Hello, I have a three year old and twin babies. I've heard from a couple of people that if you have 3 children under 5 you are entitled to 30 hours of free childcare instead of the usual 15. Does anyone know if this is actually true? I can't find anything about this on the web.

idontlikealdi Wed 09-Nov-16 13:10:09

These are the areas and criteria:

North West: Stockport, Bolton, Trafford, Cheshire West and Chester, Bury
Midlands: Nottinghamshire, Nottingham City, Walsall
South West: Cornwall
South East: Hampshire, West Sussex, Medway, East Sussex, Brighton and Hove
London and East of England: Kingston and Richmond, Barking and Dagenham, Islington, Ealing, Hillingdon
North East and Yorkshire and the Humber: Gateshead, Bradford, Sheffield, Eastriding, Wakefield, North Yorkshire
The additional 15 hours of free childcare is available for families where both parents are working (or the sole parent is working in a lone-parent family), and each parent earns the equivalent of 16 hours a week at the national minimum or living wage, and earns less than £100,000 a year.

NickNacks Wed 09-Nov-16 13:19:27

Having 3 under 5 does. It entitle you unless you both work more than 16 hours.

NickNacks Wed 09-Nov-16 13:20:20

Teerible autocorrect sorry!

NickNacks Wed 09-Nov-16 13:20:32

Argh!

aimees75 Wed 09-Nov-16 14:50:07

Thanks all

- idontlikealdi - does this mean I can't as I am in Haringry? a friend in Hackney says she is getting this as she has a 4 year old and toddler twins.

I know that there will be 30 hours free childcare for all 3 & 4 year olds as of Sept 2017 but I'm talking about 30 hours specifically for those with 3 children under 5 years old

NickNacks Wed 09-Nov-16 22:28:08

No the criteria is as stated above, but for all 3 & 4 year olds from sept 2017. Some areas are in pilot schemes as of sept 2016 but the criteria is still the same.

NickNacks Wed 09-Nov-16 22:29:27

not for all 3&4 yr olds that should say.

insancerre Thu 10-Nov-16 06:24:27

There is no entitlement to childcare based on the number of children you have

Some areas are trialling the 30 hours for eligible 3-4 year olds

Danglyweed Thu 10-Nov-16 06:38:08

How old are the dt's? I cant remember what its called but i remember dd's friends mum (a childminder) telling me when my dt's were babies that you can get childminding help for them as a sort of respite i guess. Might have been in a text, will have a look to see.

Only problem is, i think cm's can only have one under 1 at a time.

Danglyweed Thu 10-Nov-16 06:40:29

Ah sorry, just realised you were wanting more hours for the 3 year old

NickNacks Thu 10-Nov-16 06:42:36

That rule is exempt for twins. (The 2 under 1).

The only other thing I can think you're friend may have got op is the HV can sometimes recommend you are given the 2 year old funded hours. But even then that's still only 15 hours at the moment.

throwingpebbles Thu 10-Nov-16 06:43:11

You got my hopes up for a moment idont ! But in Hampshire at least it is only Portsmouth that is trailing them ...

nurserychain Thu 17-Nov-16 07:42:40

Not heard of anything for parents with 3 children under 5 I'm afraid. Just the 30hrs due to come in for 3-4yr olds, if any nurseries offer it.

alloutofnameideas Thu 17-Nov-16 07:51:28

I had four under 3, and still have four under 5 and have never heard of this. Would have been an absolute lifesaver for me so I would have known about it. My twins are 4 now and start reception next September.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 17-Nov-16 07:56:04

I wouldn't hold your breath for the 30 hours, none of the CMS I know will be offering it as they simply cannot afford to- team amount paid by the council is a good 40-60p per hour less than their going rste- they wouldn't even break even let alone make a profit sad

Unless the government pays a decent rate to childcare providers or allows them to charge a small top up fee, they literally won't be able to afford to do it so will only take younger children and babies.

throwingpebbles Thu 17-Nov-16 20:27:32

Tbh much as I would welcome the thirty hours coming in, I'm not sure
I want it to if it will have a negative impact on the quality of care and facilities. it might be a huge financial sacrifice but I want my daughter's 3 days a week in childcare to be in a setting which does not have to scrimp and save.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now