DS crying when I drop him off at nursery

(8 Posts)
Bibs2014 Mon 31-Oct-16 10:10:42

My son is 2 years and 2 months. Has been attending nursery for a year now. Had the usual unsettledness when he first started going but is fine now and really enjoys it.

That is until last week when he has sobbed every time I drop him off. He starts saying he doesn't want to go while we're walking along the road and clings to me when I try and drop him off.

What can I do? It's so hard to leave him when he's upset.

Bibs2014 Mon 31-Oct-16 16:11:02

Bump?

HSMMaCM Mon 31-Oct-16 16:42:52

Has anything changed? Key worker? Room? Structure of the day? The person who does drop off / pick up?

R0bins Mon 31-Oct-16 16:51:57

Ah it's so tough when this happens... DD went through a long phase of being upset at drop offs after at least a year of being ok. Around the same age too - maybe 2.5? Perhaps earlier. As she became more able to express herself she'd say she didn't want to go and get upset getting ready in the morning. Eventually she said it was because she didn't like to say bye to me when I left - but obviously it took her getting to a certain level of understanding and speech before she could articulate that!

We had a long period of settling in til she didn't cry when she first started aged 13m - possibly took 3 months. Then all fine for ages, then really upset again. But I was sure she was having a great time while there and she was always happy at pick up time. Nothing had changed and I really trusted the nursery staff, so was confident nothing untoward was going on at nursery. I put it down to a new phase of separation anxiety. It lasted ages though, sorry to say - she's just turned three and has been super happy about going again for the last month or two. It did coincide with potty training and me becoming pregnant so I've no idea whether these were factors.

Are you happy with the care at nursery? And that nothing's changed recently?

Bibs2014 Mon 31-Oct-16 19:45:26

Thanks all. Robin - I discovered today it's because I go to work. We had a little chat after work. Reassured him that I always come back for him, I'm always here for him etc. Hoping it's just a phase! Thanks again all.

Trulyamnearanear Mon 31-Oct-16 19:50:44

We're having this too ATM. Definitely feels like a phase and I'm reassured that he always looks happy when I peep in on him at picking up time. Can you do the same and see how he is when you collect him? The staff at our nursery have had success with window waving and stickers and gruffalo story.

dinorawr Mon 31-Oct-16 22:29:00

My little boy is starting nursery next week he's 2 and after reading this thread I'm dreading it sad I don't know what I'll do if he starts sobbing at drop offs. The thought of even taking him is giving me anxiety but I think he is going to enjoy it fingers crossed!

R0bins Tue 01-Nov-16 07:33:19

Yeah that helped for us Bibs - I promised DD that I missed her and thought about her all day, and that she could have fun with her friends while I worked then I'd come rushing to pick her up... And we'd go a little early for extra cuddles before going in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now