Talk

Advanced search

Biting at nursery

(11 Posts)
Kittymum03 Thu 15-Sep-16 06:05:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 15-Sep-16 06:15:06

Unfortunately, biting is a phase that some toddlers go through. I'm sure the nursery are aware and will be trying to curb it, but these are babies, so reasoning with them and telling them not to do it again isn't always effective if they don't yet have the emotional intelligence to understand.

My DD was bitten on the face at nursery, it was awful and I too was upset, but it was a toddler who did it, you can't blame a toddler for what is essentially normal behaviour.

Fingers crossed the nursery are on the ball and will be supervising closely to try and help the biter to stop and reassure the others.

insancerre Thu 15-Sep-16 06:20:30

It happens, even with constant supervision

In my nursery when a child bites another we fill n a form that the bitten chiolds parents sign but we give both parents a copy of a factsheet on why children bite and how its a normal stage of development for some children

We had a bite yesterday actually. A 2 year old was being tickled by a 3 year old. The older child started to get a bit rough so was asked to stop by the 3 adults that were all very close by. The 2 year old bit the older child.
What would you like the nursery to do?

Kittymum03 Thu 15-Sep-16 06:34:57

TheInimitableMrsFanshawe Thu 15-Sep-16 06:43:49

As the parent of a former biter, I can reassure you that the parents absolutely are being made aware. I used to be grateful to have to sign a form that related to DS getting bitten and not the other way round!

Certainly in our case there were specific triggers and our nursery were good at recognising these and working with us and DS to head the biting off at the pass. They can only do do much and by the time I pick up, I can reiterate that DS that it's wrong to bite, but hours have passed since the bite and he can barely remember.

I'm not minimising, but I think antibiotics is a total over-reaction to a bite from a "new baby" (which suggests that the biter is younger than your DS). I'm astonished that the GP suggested it.

Kittymum03 Thu 15-Sep-16 07:06:05

Kittymum03 Thu 15-Sep-16 16:46:54

MargaretCabbage Thu 15-Sep-16 17:28:53

Unfortunately my DS is a biter. For a while it seemed I was constantly having to sign incident forms telling me what he'd done and talking about how it was handled at nursery and at home. The nursery worked to identify the triggers; he has someone who watches him at snack time and if he is playing with certain things he gets protective over as that's when he usually does it. He did manage to bite the same child twice in one week when it started, and I felt terrible (they didn't tell me who it was, just that it was the same child) but the staff figured out DS pretty quickly and the biting has stopped.

Kittymum03 Thu 15-Sep-16 17:50:24

insancerre Fri 16-Sep-16 12:30:27

This might help

www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1082031/parents-guide-biting

Kittymum03 Fri 16-Sep-16 14:43:07

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in