Childs key worker dilemma

(7 Posts)
Oopsidaysi Sun 28-Aug-16 22:07:56

Hi, I have to ask this as I cannot simply ask at the nursery where my child goes to.

as a single father of a little boy, my child's key worker contacts me about my son and updates me on how he is, Bumps, bruises, what he gets up to and and troubles he has.

Now a couple of weeks ago we both found out that we have a crush on one another and we would both like to have a relationship.

The issue we both realise that we don't know if she is allowed to date the parent of a child she's cares for. If this is against policy or if she loses her job and so on.

We haven't done anything just to be clear, we need to clarify if there is a problem with it or not before we can start something and of course there could be a nursery policy about relationships with a child's parent.

i doubt that this would affect my child in any way as this key worker is his favourite he tells me

Hopefully some key workers themselves can cast light over this for me as I don't want to cause any problems.

Thank you

insancerre Mon 29-Aug-16 06:58:03

It would depend on the nursery's policies. Every nursery has their own policies and procedures.
I'm a nursery manager and if I was aware a member of staff was having a relationship with one of their key children's parents, I wouldn't be too happy. We don't allow our staff to have parents as friends on Facebook, so a relationship would be a concern.
I would allocate the child another key person and consider moving the staff member to one of our other nurseries. We don't allow staff to work in the same nursery as their children.
I really can't say what would happen at this nursery, the woman concerned would have to speak to her manager herself

Littlefish Mon 29-Aug-16 13:44:31

In the nursery where I work, at the very least, the child would be moved to another key person.

I think it would be very inappropriate for you to have a relationship with this person while your child is at the nursery.

How long is it until your child leaves the nursery?

kimlo Mon 29-Aug-16 19:45:16

How did you both find out?

It is very unprofessional. You either need to wait until your ds leaves to go to school or find him another setting.

Iguessyourestuckwithme Mon 29-Aug-16 19:49:50

How did you work out your like each other? When you said contact - do you mean at the end of the day/session or something else?

AndNowItsSeven Mon 29-Aug-16 20:01:06

How is it unprofessional, surely the key worker changes to a different room.

KitKat1985 Mon 29-Aug-16 20:05:40

I'm reasonably confident it would be against their policies. If you both decide to pursue it, then I think you both need to declare it to the nursery management. She would not be able to be your son's key worker whilst you were dating. Is there another unit she could work in?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now