We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tax credits pay for nursery?

(3 Posts)
ParsleyCake Sat 09-Apr-16 21:03:04

Ok so my partner works full time but his job isn't secure right now so he could be between jobs soon. I myself work part time (on the weekends) while my mum babysits. I'd like to send my baby to nursery when he turns one in a couple of months to allow me to do some volunteer work to get work experience as I currently work in a shop and would like to be able to get a better job.

We don't have enough money coming in to pay for childcare, and while it isn't essential, it would be nice to send him for a morning a week. On the child tax credits form, when I filled it in months ago, it asked whether I paid for childcare. At the time I didn't, but now I am wondering if I would get money towards childcare through tax credits?

There doesn't seem to be a way to find out beforehand though. It wouldn't be ideal to pay for a month or so of nursery and then find out that we wouldn't get money towards it afterall and have to pull ds out.

Does anyone know if there's a way of finding out how much money you could get towards childcare? I really could do with some baby free time to get work experience or we're going to end up being poor till he starts school.

dementedpixie Sat 09-Apr-16 21:11:12

www.gov.uk/help-with-childcare-costs/tax-credits - looks like you would both have to work 16 hours a week to qualify. You also need to be eligible for working tax credit

ParsleyCake Sat 09-Apr-16 21:18:24

Ah. I only work 10 hours. Oh well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now