Talk

Advanced search

Tax credits pay for nursery?

(3 Posts)
ParsleyCake Sat 09-Apr-16 21:03:04

Ok so my partner works full time but his job isn't secure right now so he could be between jobs soon. I myself work part time (on the weekends) while my mum babysits. I'd like to send my baby to nursery when he turns one in a couple of months to allow me to do some volunteer work to get work experience as I currently work in a shop and would like to be able to get a better job.

We don't have enough money coming in to pay for childcare, and while it isn't essential, it would be nice to send him for a morning a week. On the child tax credits form, when I filled it in months ago, it asked whether I paid for childcare. At the time I didn't, but now I am wondering if I would get money towards childcare through tax credits?

There doesn't seem to be a way to find out beforehand though. It wouldn't be ideal to pay for a month or so of nursery and then find out that we wouldn't get money towards it afterall and have to pull ds out.

Does anyone know if there's a way of finding out how much money you could get towards childcare? I really could do with some baby free time to get work experience or we're going to end up being poor till he starts school.

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Sat 09-Apr-16 21:11:12

www.gov.uk/help-with-childcare-costs/tax-credits - looks like you would both have to work 16 hours a week to qualify. You also need to be eligible for working tax credit

ParsleyCake Sat 09-Apr-16 21:18:24

Ah. I only work 10 hours. Oh well

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in