Biting? Not sure what to do

(9 Posts)
LovelyTrees Wed 16-Mar-16 11:07:03

Forgive me if this sounds daft but I think somehow that DD has been bitten and her nursery didn't realise/notice. I've raised it with them and they said there were no incidents and DD didn't cry out or seem upset at all yesterday. However she has a big red mark on her back which looks just like little teeth. I took a picture last night and again this morning as it is still very red. Is it worth showing the pictures to nursery and asking for a further investigation or am i going to have to just let this go as unexplained?

HSMMaCM Wed 16-Mar-16 12:47:33

It's worth showing to nursery, but how would they investigate? They can keep a close eye, to see if one of the children has started a biting habit, to try and avoid any future incidents. It's quite possible she was bitten through her clothes and no one noticed.

Loraline Wed 16-Mar-16 13:00:15

This happened to my DS. They mentioned at the end of the day a red 'bruise' but as the evening went on and it settled down, it was clearly a bite. It just wasn't seen when it happened and DS didn't cry or anything. It does happen - quite a bit. DS has been both bitten and bitten others and the nursery do deal with it when it happens. If it's a one-off though, I'd be inclined to let it go. that's what we did.

LovelyTrees Wed 16-Mar-16 14:03:37

I will show them the pictures tomorrow. It looks so much like teeth marks i can't think what else could have caused it. Whatndo you think? I just want to raise their awareness as clearly they have not noticed it and i would hope they are watching more closely for the next few days in case one of the kids is developing a biting habit!

SerenityReynolds Wed 16-Mar-16 14:06:35

It does look like a bite mark. I would definitely show them so they can keep an eye out for biting from any of the other kids. Hope your DD is ok.

LovelyTrees Wed 16-Mar-16 14:34:42

Thankfully she seems totally fine. Let's hope it's a one off but it's a bit worrying the nursery staff were completely unaware.

Loraline Wed 16-Mar-16 15:06:02

Do show them, so they know there's potentially a biter in the room but I wouldn't be too worried. It can happen so fast and they just don't see every incident of hitting/biting/pushing etc. If it was a pattern I'd be concerned but as a one-off I think it's probably fine.

HSMMaCM Wed 16-Mar-16 15:31:18

They could have been playing dinosaurs or something and all shrieking and one child got carried away. Your DD might not even have noticed more than a bump at the time and obviously didn't react loudly. Just keep an eye on it and make them aware.

insancerre Wed 16-Mar-16 18:01:15

Definitely looks like a bite
Tell the nursery, but you really don't need to show them the photo
When we have biting incidents in the nursery we give both parents a biting leaflet explaining how common a phase it is and what they can expect from us

Biting does happen and sometimes the child doesn't cry and it goes unnoticed
Sometimes it happens right next to a staff member and they still can't stop it, even with known offenders and shadowing by an adult

In my nursery we would record the incident on an injury on arrival form and document that you found the bite after collection from nursery

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now