nursery for a child with special needs

(7 Posts)
JellyBaby26 Tue 01-Mar-16 12:51:53

Dd has severe neurological condition and epilepsy, and am just interested to know can she go to mainstream nurseries or are there special needs ones? Am I likely to have to pay more than usual?
We are expecting a second in a few months and I do want to earn some money when he is old enough to go to a cm/nursery but I do have my concerns about her.
I would love to be a sahm but I would like a part time job to keep me sane as she is incredibly testing.

Frusso Tue 01-Mar-16 18:07:43

There are special needs nurseries, you may have to travel further to get to one. My dd was split between ms and sn nursery, sn nursery was actually cheaper, but did require an introduction/referral from paediatrician.
Both settings may also take the Early Years funding, and be able to tap into additional SEND funding.

laughingGnomette Tue 01-Mar-16 19:22:43

Hi Jelly, i'm not an expert and can only speak from personal experience but it might be worth contacting your council. My 3 year old attends a nursery that is run by our local authority and I know they have spaces allocated to children with special needs. I've no idea how common this is across the country though but it might be worth a try. smile

JellyBaby26 Wed 02-Mar-16 07:29:01

Thank you both. No doubt she would get a referral.

We are a while off yet but I often wonder selfishly if I will be her carer 24/7 while she's little.

Branleuse Wed 02-Mar-16 07:37:38

my children all went to a fabulous SEN integrated nursery that had 50% disabled children and 50% non.

They do exist but it depends where you live

jclm Fri 11-Mar-16 10:05:42

Our private nursery eventually refused my SN baby and we hired a nanny to work from our home. It didn't cost much more but it was well worth it.

dimples76 Fri 11-Mar-16 21:56:22

My SN son (2) goes to a mainstream nursery and they are able to access funding 1:1 for him

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now