Talk

Advanced search

Shall I take DS out ?

(4 Posts)
mia1972 Sat 06-Feb-16 17:46:14

Dear mumsnetters, I am really in two minds about the current situation at my son's nursery, I am wondering if you can share some wisdom.

My son is 3.5, very enthusiastic and really really keen to be friendly with other kids. Now he has now been bitten by another boy 3 times and the nursery key worker tells me it's my son's fault because he was trying to join in a game without asking properly, getting really close up to him.

The other issue is the speech: he sometimes has a baby persona and try to speak baby talk, but can speak fine. She has made him have a hearing assessment and and speech therapy assessment in the space of 2 months - both have come up absolutely clear with no concerns. But because she thinks there is a language problem she has told all the kids at the nursery that he is not able to talk and still learning to talk. I am concerned about him being 'labelled' as somebody that can't speak with other kids as I think that will affect the way he is able to make friendships there. He sometimes tells me that some kids won't play with him, but I don't know / understand the scale of the problem at nursery. Outside of the nursery setting he is has no problem making friends.

He used to be really happy in this nursery, had a lovely relationship with his previous key worker. Now he is not happy going in and cries a lot. There are also some other smaller housekeeping problems.

I have raised these concerns with the key worker in a subtle way but got nowhere. Changing key worker is not an option, is small nursery with one person having all the pre-schoolers. As he is due to start school in september I am not sure if it's worth taking him out of the setting.

If you managed to read all of this please help !!!

Thanks

VagueIdeas Sat 06-Feb-16 17:50:33

Now he has now been bitten by another boy 3 times and the nursery key worker tells me it's my son's fault because he was trying to join in a game without asking properly, getting really close up to him.

He's three and a half! Children at that age don't have sophisticated social skills, and I'm surprised the key worker doesn't know this.

You have plenty of other reasons to be unhappy as well, so yes, if taking him out is an option you probably should.

mia1972 Sat 06-Feb-16 22:43:40

Thank you for your response. I am seriously thinking of taking him out, I am just worried about him having to settle somewhere else and then start school shortly after, but if he is unhappy I think I might bite the bullet...

defineme Sat 06-Feb-16 22:47:14

It's a very long time in the life of a 3 year old until next September. Take him out, that sounds awful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now