Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else got 2 in nursery full time?

(5 Posts)
cunningf0x Tue 22-Dec-15 15:49:08

Hi there,

I'm expecting my second child in January, an unexpected surprise. Due to money issues, I'll have to return to work full time in July, approximately. My other little girl is only 2, so does not yet qualify for free childcare.

My full time nursery costs for her at the moment are £1,200 a month. So it's going to be double that (minus a 5% discount for siblings). This actually makes me feel sick (we're in the South East).

I'm the main wage earner, but neither of us earn big money. My OH has mental health issues and I don't (can't) have him at home with the kids - he won't be able to cope.

Anyone got any hints on how to make this work financially? I'm wondering if child minders would be better - though I can't find any ones locally.

Or do I just need to swallow it and get on with it until we get some free hours a month to make it work....

jclm Tue 29-Dec-15 21:33:56

Have you considered a nanny? A nanny with own baby would bring the costs down even more. X

Iguessyourestuckwithme Tue 29-Dec-15 21:35:22

A nanny would probably be more cost effective - certainly shouldn't cost you more than 2k a month (unless in London) also easier in the morning to walk out the door and go to work with no drop offs.

ceeveebee Tue 29-Dec-15 21:54:37

I had twins and went back to work 4 days s week, we had a nanny from the start as would have cost £35k per year in nursery fees! There were lots of other benefits too - mornings very easy, slightly more flexibility on times, a bit of housework covered (mostly kids laundry but she also cooked for us sometimes when cooking for the kids), more control over what the children were eating, doing etc. Downsides were that if nanny ill or on holiday there is no one to cover (except expensive agencies) and also need to pay for groups, activities, petrol, food, heating etc

thelaundryfairy Tue 29-Dec-15 22:01:09

We have a part-time nanny; our children are 3 years apart and I had only two months of maternity leave after the second (I´m a teacher and she was born in June so I went back after the summer holiday at the end of August). My husband and I have both worked full-time since both were born apart from my mat. leave and we´ve always had a part-time nanny to cover the childcare when we´re working. As the kids have got older, her hours have reduced which she is happy with (we are actually onto our second nanny as of a year ago because our previous one retired). I would recommend it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now