Talk

Advanced search

Where do your babies sleep in nursery?

(6 Posts)
KeepSmiling83 Thu 26-Nov-15 12:10:51

DD2 is due to start nursery in the new year. She will be going to the same nursery as her older sister went to and I was really pleased with it. When DD1 was in the baby room she used to nap outside in her pram (just outside the baby room outside patio doors) however they have changed the policy and now the babies must nap inside the room. I'm really worried as she doesn't nap very well when it's noisy and obviously with 11 other children playing it will be very distracting for her. The only time she is grumpy is when she's tired so I'm already dreading how she will be if she can't sleep!

They said the reason it has changed is so they can constantly monitor the children rather than popping out to check on them. I understand their reasoning but DD1 used to sleep so well out there as it was much quieter and I do think the fresh air helped. She was wrapped up so I was never worried about her being cold.

I'm reluctant to change nursery as I was so happy with everything else and it will only be for 5 months as I'm dropping to part time after that so she can nap at home in the afternoon. I'm not even sure if this is normal practice so there's no point changing as it's the same everywhere? Where does your baby sleep at nursery? In the same room as all the other children or somewhere else?

BackforGood Thu 26-Nov-15 23:10:45

I go in to a lot of nurseries, and, where it's practical they tend to get all the 'nappers' to sleep at the same time, so the room is quiet and usually darker too. Obviously some just sleep wherever and whenever they are tired, but a pattern of napping at a set time does help.
Other nurseries are lucky enough to have a separate area, but it's difficult to staff two rooms unless you have 3 babies sleeping and 3 who are awake, unless you are lucky enough to have a sort of 'annexe' type arrangement.

youlemming Thu 26-Nov-15 23:12:06

Do they not have a cot room?
My DD's nursery and all the others I've visited had a room adjacent to the babies so they could be in a quiet room but the staff could check on them easily.
In the other rooms the children nap on padded mats over to one side but seem to somehow sleep even if others are awake and playing.

KeepSmiling83 Fri 27-Nov-15 18:59:00

No cot room. When they move up to the next room they do have a separate room with mats on for them to sleep on but in the baby room the cots are all in the corner. They can also sleep in their pram if they want to but again these are wheeled into the same room as all the other children. I don't know what to do as it is only for 5 months and I loved everything else about the nursery but I feel so sorry for DD2 as I imagine she will be exhausted.

bittapitta Fri 27-Nov-15 19:02:20

It won't be noisy at nap time. Our nursery is open plan and napping children go to the napping corner where lights are dimmed and gentle music plays. The older non-nappers do quiet activities. The staff will be good at getting kids to sleep who need it.

MeredithShepherd Mon 07-Dec-15 20:09:49

My son sleeps in a seperate cot room thay has a video baby monitor so they can see inside the room at all times from the baby room. Other babies sleep in pushchairs or the bouncy chairs in the baby room from what I can gather. They did tell me they happily let them sleep outside when it's warm but not if it's cold or raining which is fair enough

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now