Talk

Advanced search

Safe Guarding misconduct

(10 Posts)
Macmonkey15 Wed 04-Nov-15 20:08:44

My now 5 month old has been in a nursery setting for 5 weeks now, there have been a few issues. After working in a nursery for seven years I know the mistakes they are making a silly and easily fixed thats not the issue. There was a breech in safe guarding my child which is totally unacceptable.

I received a phone call to say they had been bitten whilst asleep in the book corner (where I worked this was not allowed they had to sleep in a cot or on a bed) they where then bitten by an older child. They for confidentiality reason cannot tell me the age of the child, however, in the 7 years in the industry I have never seen a bite like this. It must have drew blood as its a week later and there is a scab and still a bruise. My child's room is from 3 months to 20 months! This incident could have been severe as an older child could have stood on her head, sat on her or smothered her...it doesn't bare thinking about.

I do not feel safe with my child in this setting, the nursery has a 2 month notice period, does anyone know if I can reduce this due to incidents?

Should I Inforn OFSTED?

HSMMaCM Wed 04-Nov-15 21:03:50

Not sure if this is really a safeguarding issue (as in abuse), but they do need to protect your child. If a 5 month old in my care fell asleep on the floor I would move them. However a 3 year old fell asleep in the middle of my playroom today and I just made sure the other children didn't trip over her.

Just ask staff to please move her to a cot if she falls asleep on the floor ?

HoggleHoggle Wed 04-Nov-15 21:06:56

They left a 5 month old unattended on the floor???? For this alone you need to find another setting, and that's aside from the bite.

I don't know where you stand legally in terms of reducing the notice period but I think given the severity of the bite and that your small baby was unattended and got injured, you would have a good case to argue for earlier withdrawal.

Snossidge Wed 04-Nov-15 21:09:16

Of course leaving a 5 month old asleep on the floor unattended in a room full of older babies and toddlers is a safeguarding issue! It put the baby at risk of harm, and he came to actual harm.

I would remove my child at once with no notice and complain to ofsted. Take photos of the injury.

HSMMaCM Wed 04-Nov-15 21:27:17

It's health and safety, rather than safeguarding. Safeguarding is a technical term and I absolutely agree it was not safe.

BumWad Wed 04-Nov-15 21:29:44

Bloody hell my DS is 23 weeks and if they had just left him on the floor sleeping I would be livid!

Macmonkey15 Wed 04-Nov-15 21:29:45

Thanks for your messages.

Yes I have her enrolled in the nursery I should have to start with I was split between the two, turns out it was the wrong decision...feel so guilty for my poor baby. Yes I took pictures on the day it happend and I have again today a week later ( it still looks like it just happened it's so bad.

I have a meeting with the manager of the setting tommorw I just wanted to see where I stand in terms of the notice period, I guess I will see how it plays out tommorw.

Snossidge Thu 05-Nov-15 08:14:52

Safeguarding refers to protecting and promoting children's health as well as just preventing abuse HSMM.

HSMMaCM Thu 05-Nov-15 09:22:43

Yes I know it's not as simple as just abuse, but I'm 99% sure this comes under health and safety, rather than safeguarding. It still shouldn't happen, I was just trying to help the OP use correct terms if she decides to take it further.

HoggleHoggle Fri 06-Nov-15 09:37:13

How did you get on? Hope it went ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now