Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Saturday nurseries!

(14 Posts)
sheilla Thu 06-Aug-15 19:05:59

Been looking for a while for a nursery anywhere in Waltham Forest that opens on a Saturday. I finally have and I'm the only parent that wants the space therefore they obviously cannot open just for one child!

I'm really disappointed and quite shocked as I thought a lot more people would want Saturday places. I still have to find another nursery or a really good child-minder who would do 7.5 hours on Saturdays.

addictedtosugar Thu 06-Aug-15 19:17:21

I'm not aware of any nursery's who do weekend opening. It can be very limiting for single parents, as more and more people work longer hours, and places are open at the weekend. Everyone round here uses family if/when shifts fall lates/nights/weekends. Sorry.

insancerre Fri 07-Aug-15 10:24:51

I'm a nursery manager and I don't know any nurseries that open on a Saturday
You may have better luck with a childmnder

ProudAS Sat 08-Aug-15 13:35:40

Might one of the nursery staff be able to do some Saturday baby sitting for you?

Kafri Wed 12-Aug-15 22:41:27

It absolutely amazes me that nurseries don't open at weekends yet with the way work is for a lot of people these days.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to offend nursery staff and its not that I think they should open weekends but it seems every industry is opening 7 days a week but there is next to no childcare options for weekends unless you can find a childminder who does it.
I doubt it'll be long before some of the 'chain' nurseries decide to open.
A nursery local to me has a hugely inflated daily rate to accommodate shift workers in the weeks I I dread to honk what they'd charge for a weekend...

Allotherusernamesweretaken Fri 14-Aug-15 21:15:47

Shocking as it may be to a lot of people, us nursery workers have lives too and I for one will be leaving the profession if weekend nurseries ever become a thing. Do you want school to be open at weekends too? Our wages are low enough without also having to work weekends!

StonedGalah Fri 14-Aug-15 21:24:28

School isn't childminding so we're constantly told allother. Would you like it for everything only to be open Monday to Friday then hmm

Kafri Fri 14-Aug-15 22:51:34

Oh my Allother, calm down.

I was merely pointing out that people struggle with childcare on weekends now that the majority of jobs require you to work over 7 days not 5.

Retail/banking/more and more services within NHS etc are all open over 7 days now meaning parents need to seek childcare arrangements to cover this.

I just commented that it surprised me that nurseries hadn't seen it as an opportunity that's all!!

Im sure many people working weekends would love to have the option not to but for some it's just not that easy.

TeamBacon Fri 14-Aug-15 22:53:32

The only ones I know of are attached to hospitals, or are very close to them, as they have to cover shift work. Might be worth a try

hibbleddible Mon 17-Aug-15 00:07:39

I have researched and viewed a lot of nurseries and have not come across one which opens at the weekend. I think logistically it would be nearly impossible with staffing requirement and low take up.

Most parents who work weekends use family for childcare I believe.

ThereIsIron Mon 17-Aug-15 00:14:21

Nurseries have explored Saturday as "an opportunity". The books just don't balance.

NeedSpeed Mon 17-Aug-15 01:03:08

Sheilla, could you let me know which nursery this is. I'm interested in placing my daughter.

NeedSpeed Mon 17-Aug-15 01:04:12

I can see why parents need it! Many parents work weekend or could do with some quality time with their spouse, especially when there is no other sources of support.

alibubbles Mon 17-Aug-15 09:25:10

Kidz first NW10 is open 8.00- 6.00 on Saturdays

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now