Talk

Advanced search

Nursey ground floor window worries

(5 Posts)
Beanmachinescene Thu 16-Jul-15 10:14:03

Hi there,

I'm a dad, I've been using mumnset for pretty much everything from buggies to moving house so far, but I've been unable to find any guidance on this topic, so it's about time I posted smile

Our 22 month old Son has just moved rooms in his nursery and is now in a room with 3 ground floor windows that are at adult waist height. The nursery recently expanded to take this room that was previously being used by a different company, so this is the first summer they've had the room.

It gets very hot in the building so they have been opening all the windows. There are no opening restrictors and they open straight out on to the car park which in about 10 meters from a very busy high street.

Our son is a climber so I'm concerned he could escape, but also that anyone from the street could climb in.

Can anyone tell me if there are regulations or recomendations regarding this sort of thing?

It just seems to me that a lapse of concentration from the staff and anything could happen and we already aren't completely confident in the new room/staff for a few minor reasons.

Thanks all!

JinglyJanglyJungleBigGameTours Thu 16-Jul-15 10:32:55

I'm not 100% sure but I think that there should be a catch on the window to stop them opening beyond 4''.

You'd probably be best contacting your local authority about this, both to check the facts and to raise the issue of the nursery doing this.

HSMMaCM Thu 16-Jul-15 19:59:24

They should have risk assessed the new room and maybe you can help them with a solution to this risk?

jendot2 Thu 16-Jul-15 22:09:27

I would totally be raising this with the nursery manager. I would be asking to see a risk assessment on this room. My ds 3 escaped from a similar height window when at preschool. Luckily it only led to an enclosed garden ( he was out there for at least an hour and they didn't notice he was missing until I collected...but that's a whole other story!!) I would NOT be sending my child until this had been addressed.

Beanmachinescene Sat 18-Jul-15 19:55:25

Thanks for the responses all. Have contacted the council, but as usual with them, I'm waiting for a call back.

jendot, your story fills me with dread, but at least I know I'm not over worrying.

I had a closer look on friday at pick up and there is a small ledge at ankle height making it even easier to climb. I questioned on of the staff and was assured that they only have the windows open when kids aren't in that section, however I've already seen this is not the case. Hmmmm...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now