Talk

Advanced search

Children left on their own in nurseries.

(10 Posts)
TiggyD Wed 08-Jul-15 19:20:17

From the EYFS: "*Children must usually be within sight and hearing of staff and always within sight or hearing*."

In other words it's legal to walk out the the nursery room and leave children on their own providing you are within earshot. I've always considered this as totally wrong. It kind of assumes that if any child gets into trouble they will call out in a clear voice "Help me! I need urgent assistance!". A child with something wrapped round their neck will make no sound so there will be no staff rushing in to help them. Same with cutting hair and a child having convulsions of some kind.

What do you all think?

Spindelina Wed 08-Jul-15 19:21:55

What about a child playing hide and seek? Is that what the "usually" is there to cover?

downgraded Wed 08-Jul-15 19:23:55

It totally depends how long they are left for.

I would leave mine alone at home for a few minutes, so I don't see it's any different at nursery, in fact nursery is probably more thoroughly checked for any hazards.

I would be fine with them being only within earshot for short amounts of time.

Pico2 Wed 08-Jul-15 19:24:02

I think this may be appropriate in limited circumstances. DD2 isn't mobile and naps a bit more than the older children in her room at nursery. For naps she is in a proper cot. I am fine for her to be out of sight but within earshot of staff - as she would be at home.

VegasIsBest Wed 08-Jul-15 19:24:57

Do you never leave your kids at home in one room while you're in another?

Littlefish Wed 08-Jul-15 19:26:51

We have several play houses and tents. When the children are in them, we can't see them. They also hide in cardboard boxes, under tables and sometimes, go and put something on their peg which is slightly away from the main nursery room. They also go to the toilet by themselves.

We are very aware of where the children are, but we can't always see them.

Buttercup27 Wed 08-Jul-15 19:29:15

This clause is to cover sleeping children and playhouses etc, not to allow nursery staff to leave the room with children unsupervised.

soontobeanana Wed 08-Jul-15 20:52:09

The EYFS covers children up to the age of eight. These children will not always be in sight. We let our children build dens, have camps in trees, play in tents etc. We can always hear them even if we can't see them. Never go for too long without a quick spy though!

NigellasGuest Wed 08-Jul-15 20:57:47

The EYFS covers children up to the end of Reception year, so age 5

Tanith Thu 09-Jul-15 13:34:53

Presumably the children will be in a properly assessed playroom with all potential neck-wrapping hazards removed unless under close adult supervision.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now