Talk

Advanced search

Sunstroke and Nursery

(9 Posts)
Fanda2612 Wed 01-Jul-15 12:32:36

Hello, first time poster, only joined mumsnet today. Not sure if I'm posting in the right place but here goes.
My ds is 2 (will be 3 in August) he attends nursery 2 days a week.
Yesterday I sent him to nursery as usual at 9.30 and picked him up at 2.30, I was told that they brought him into the shade just before I got there because he was looking a bit hot and bothered. Then when we were home he became very disorientated and threw up. We ended up being checked over in A and E where they said he was suffering with heatstroke.
Now I'm not sure whether to complain to the nursery or accept it that it was extremely hot yesterday and it's one of those things, they did notice he was hot and brought him into the shade, albeit just before I arrived, they had obviously been toping up his sunscreen and he had his hat on.
I am inclined to mention it to them and ask them to be wary of him in the sun (he's very, very fair, and doesn't cope well in the sun and they do know this) because I do feel they did all they could, however my husband wants to make a full complaint.
Just looking for another opinion.
Thanks, (off to make some lunch so may not immediately reply!)

SueGeneris Wed 01-Jul-15 12:39:40

Hmm. I wouldn't want my children outdoors at that time of day for more than 30 minutes if it's in the high 20s. Unless they were sitting still in the shade. Which kids don't tend to do. I also find that hats make them hotter. If he got heatstroke I don't think they were keeping a careful enough eye on him.

madamecake Wed 01-Jul-15 12:41:27

I think I'm with your husband on this and would complain. The nursery staff shouldn't have put your ds in a position to get "hot and bothered". If he was only moved into the shade just before you arrived means he would have been sitting out in direct sun on hottest part of the day, when advice us to keep small children and babies in shade between 12-3pm.

Hope your ds is feeling better.

madamecake Wed 01-Jul-15 12:42:42

Please ignore all the typos!

timeforacheckup Wed 01-Jul-15 12:46:22

I wouldn't be happy and wouldn't think they'd done everything they could. At my dc nursery they only go out before 11am or after 3pm (unless the older dc go to the orchard which is shaded).

IssyStark Wed 01-Jul-15 12:47:24

I would not frame it as a complaint but rather passing on knowledge that you now know your ds is rather more affected by the heat than the average 2yo, and could they keep a closer eye than usual on him in hot weather as you'd rather he didn't get heatstroke again. I would also ask them to record on their records that your son had diagnosed heatstroke from playing outside. If they record it, then they will have to address it.

I would also ask them what their policy is for hot weather play, and if they don't have one, based on the incident with your son, could they institute one. For example, this morning as I left my dc's nursery, I overheard the workers telling the 2yos that if it was too hot, they would only be able to play in the shade/under the shelter when outside.

I would only complain if they seem uninterested in the above or if you knew that your son had been treated differently from other children, for example had been left in the sun or without a hat (it is hardly the Nursery's fault if one child reacts more badly to the heat than others, especially if it wasn't something that you had noticed previously).

If you go in with a full complaint, it will just rise the ante. It would be preferable to try and work in a constructive manner in the first instance, and only move to a compliant if they don't respond positively.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Wed 01-Jul-15 12:49:07

Yes, heatstroke is horrible. I tend to be very sensitive to the sun and, whilst I absolutely love it, I can't sit in it directly for any length of time or I end up feeling terrible. I would hate my DCs to feel as ill as I do when I've overdone the sun!

Maybe reach a compromise complaint? i.e. not go in all guns blazing but speak to the Nursery Manager or DS's Keyworker & be firm but polite in making it VERY clear that DS was unwell enough to require a trip to A&E and that this MUST NOT happen again.

I appreciate that not all set ups are the same, but at DD's Nursery they have a play area in the sun next to a covered play area in the shade (think a barn with two open sides & closed in ends) and yesterday they were regularly alternating groups of DCs between the sun and shade. Could they do something like that?

CatHackney Fri 24-Jul-15 15:20:00

This is serious and I'd be furious. They took action, but much too late, and should have been much more aware. Your son did not respond to the heat and sun in a way that was unexpected - some children might be a little more sensitive than others, but that is within an expected range that nursery should be entirely prepared for and have policies to avoid.

Agree with previous posts about raising it with them seriously, ensuring that this is recorded in their accident book, and requesting that they inform you in writing of what steps they will be taking to ensure this never happens again.

Overall, I'd agree with your husband.

carriebrody Fri 24-Jul-15 15:23:44

I would raise it with them, but it doesn't have to be a complaint. I have one DC who is very susceptible to heatstroke and actually got it once at nursery and once at school - I just reiterated to them that he reacts more quickly than other children and had it noted down as a medical need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now