Talk

Advanced search

Setting up a Day Nursery / Pre School

(5 Posts)
Brown36 Thu 11-Jun-15 14:11:10

I am a parent of two teenage boys and a mainstream EYFS teacher with extensive experience in teaching little ones with autism. I love teaching and now have the opportunity to 'go it alone'. I would like to set up an inclusive day nursery / pre school and I am doing some market research. I want to target areas in need of more good quality childcare provisions. I want to set up a nursery with a caring and nurturing environment which also prepares small children for school. I am looking at areas in and around Croydon and Sutton and wondered if parents out there could let me know if they are struggling to find childcare in particular areas. Your help would be appreciated!

miller599 Fri 12-Jun-15 06:54:48

I've just recently moved from Croydon and from what I've seen Croydon have so many nurseries with many all walking distant from each other.

Have you considered Bromley. There is definitely a shortage for places in this area especially central Bromley. Two have just opened up recently and are already full up nearly in baby room. I think most nurseries in central Bromley are oversubscribed with waiting lists as some can put their children's name down from conception. I know this as I'm currently looking for childcare for my dd end of year

Brown36 Sat 13-Jun-15 09:33:24

Thank you very much Miller599, I will have a look at Bromley.

Petallic Sat 13-Jun-15 09:43:06

Also if you haven't already speak to your local authority - they have to conduct a childcare sufficiency review and report annually and this should include the local areas that have the highest demand for which age range. Speak to the early years dept (was called business development team in my LA but it may vary) and they may also be able to advise on possible funding/support if you are opening in an area of high need and informally advise you on any other provisions who may be opening/closing etc in your planned vicinity.

Brown36 Sat 13-Jun-15 13:00:11

Thank you very much petallic. That is all really helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now