Advanced search

Should I be worried?

(9 Posts)
Newby79 Tue 10-Feb-15 21:00:23

Hi, just wanted to ask other mums' experiences of nursery please.
My lo has been going to nursery for 4 weeks and we've been contacted 3 times to say he has either banged his head or nearly choked. He has thankfully been ok each time. He is cruising around so you would expect him to be unsteady but are these normal events at nursery or should I discuss with nursery manager? Also, bottles and clothes have gone missing! Not sure how to play it going forward. It's a great nursery and staff are nice but I also don't want leave this unnoticed. Thanks for advice in advance.

HSMMaCM Wed 11-Feb-15 06:45:00

Ask to have a settling in update with his key worker. Name everything in big bold letters.

Newby79 Wed 11-Feb-15 15:40:47

Thanks for your advice. Think we will arrange to see key worker or manager for feedback. If anyone has other views they will be appreciated! smile

TiggyD Wed 11-Feb-15 16:36:04

Name your stuff.

Banging head is normal. You can even get crash helmets to protect against it. [eyeroll] (We should have an eyeroll!)

Choking less good. The staff need to be a bit more careful with what they give him, but...everybody chokes a bit every now and then as a baby.

Newby79 Wed 11-Feb-15 16:53:57

Thanks tiggyD. Yes I have name tags for his stuff, still not stopping things going missing! I think I'll roll my eyes at the helmet too! Will have a general talk with key worker and mention accidents and policy for repeated incidents etc.

Stubbed Wed 11-Feb-15 17:01:05

I'm 3 years and two children I have had a total of two items going missing at nursery.

Head bangs, loads (learning to walk so it happens). Choking, never.

timeforacheckup Wed 11-Feb-15 17:06:06

Would be very concerned about the choking - they should not be able to access anything to choke on. Bumps to head - not such an issue as always happen.

HSMMaCM Wed 11-Feb-15 17:15:40

Depends whether they mean choking or gagging. At least they told you.

Newby79 Wed 11-Feb-15 20:25:32

Hi thanks for your suggestions. The choking incident was witnessed by SiL who was about to collect Lo. Explanation given was that some older children who were siblings of another baby must have left a small piece of plastic in the room when parent collected baby. I know accidents happen and they dealt with it quickly and successfully. Will mention risk assessments etc when I see them. I wonder why they don't actively baby proof? Lots of sharp edges and hard floors, surely makes sense to pad out hard furniture etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now