Talk

Advanced search

refund from nursery

(10 Posts)
Starlight9 Thu 29-Jan-15 10:24:46

We have decided to move my daughter to a different nursery (problems with her being hit by other children, being fed processed food etc) but out of politeness, we have told them that I am taking time off from University and no longer need child care. Their response was in order for me to receive a refund, they must declare to the university that I am leaving?? They are not connected to the university in any way so I'm completely confused. They will owe me approximately 1500 when she leaves as I usually pay quarterly in advance.

I'm now stuck as I didn't t want to inform them of how rubbish I think their nursery is.

Has anybody else been in the same situation and can offer some help?

UniS Thu 29-Jan-15 10:32:46

Check your contract with the nursery.
Start telling the truth.
If you want a refund you need to do this properly and accept you may not get it all back if there are contract clauses that limit the nursery company liability to pay such a refund.

Starlight9 Thu 29-Jan-15 11:23:59

'Do it properly' ? I have done so. I am not required to tell them why my daughter is leaving the nursery.
Please only comment if you have experienced the same situation and can give me a proper explanation as to why they must contact my university.

Finola1step Thu 29-Jan-15 11:36:23

Starlight I have used private nurseries for a number of years and have read many, many mumsnet threads. I have never heard of a nursery contacting another independent organisation regarding a parent giving notice. Therefore, I think you will struggle to find another poster with the same experiences to advise you.

I will however give you my thoughts. The nursery are playing hard ball because they don't want to pack back all that is owed to you. They are trying to find some wriggle room. Your best option is to return to your written contract and remind them of what is in it regarding notice periods.

It's also worth checking your contract in case there is some weird clause regarding verification of reason given for notice.

Starlight9 Thu 29-Jan-15 11:54:21

I have given them the notice period asked of in the contract so am baffled by their response. They probably are making attempts for me to keep her there, which will not happen. I am going to visit them on Monday anyhow. I'm fully aware that I must inform student finance that I am changing her childcare provider but that is none of their business! They're a terrible nursery, I will be glad to see the back of them.

Finola1step Thu 29-Jan-15 12:36:01

In that case, just keep everything in writing so that you have a paper trail. I don't see the need for a meeting in Monday. Your next step is to confirm in writing the financials re refunding what has been paid well in advance and any deposits they hold.

Bullincathkidston Thu 29-Jan-15 12:36:59

Student finance? They partly fund the fees?

Starlight9 Thu 29-Jan-15 18:25:27

I didn't see the need for a meeting either. My partner went in but they supposedly 'need to see me'. They're obviously not going to sent me a letter back, they're way too unprofessional. - definitely not who I want caring for my child. Student finance do partly fund the fees but the money is paid to myself, I then pay the childcare provider and payments are then confirmed by the childcare provider at a later date.

PatriciaHolm Thu 29-Jan-15 23:00:51

If you have already paid them, they will need to inform student finance that you have paid them for services you will not be receiving and are getting a refund (essentially they need to tell them that the CCG2 is incorrect, assuming it has been submitted already). So I suspect that is what they are referring to. They have a responsibility to inform student finance of this, as a double check that you aren't simply pocketing the refund and not paying for alternative care (which is what they think you are doing as you have told them you don't need care any more).

Starlight9 Fri 30-Jan-15 08:19:23

I have no problem with them informing student finance as I will be informing them of the new care providers anyhow. I have decided to stop being a wimp and tell them that she is being cared for by a different care provider, but without telling them the reasons why (I would rather not upset them while my daughter is still in their care). Thank you for your responses xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: