Talk

Advanced search

Just how important is preschool education?

(11 Posts)
Eminybob Fri 14-Nov-14 16:49:38

I have narrowed my nursery search down to 2 -

1st is ofstead outstanding, aims to have children 6 months ahead by the time they go to school, run by ex teacher, very results focussed. It is also a lovely modern nursery with fantastic facilities and although not a brilliant outside space it is in the ground of a park. It has been rated in the top 10 in the country.

2nd is a lot more laid back and informal, slightly older building with more basic facilities and more of a home from home type of place but with lovely big rooms and fantastic outside space. Last ofstead was good but they explained the reasons why not outstanding and what they have done to make changes since.

Of the 2 I got a better vibe from number 2 plus it is about £100 per month cheaper which would be really helpful but I can't help thinking about the benefits of number 1 in terms of DS's development.

So how important is the educational aspect at that age? DS will be going from age 14 months until school age.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jeffery Fri 14-Nov-14 17:56:56

Definitely nursery 2 op. I'm a reception teacher and let me tell you that I prefer the children to have better social skills than being able to read and write! Nursery one sounds like it would put a lot of pressure on the children and focus on academic learning that developing a happy child.
My 9 month old starts nursery in Jan and I would pick number w for her I think.

Jeffery Fri 14-Nov-14 17:57:07

*number 2

Eminybob Fri 14-Nov-14 18:10:28

Thanks, that's what my gut is telling me too. I'm going to have another look at number 1 next week, as I saw that one a couple of weeks ago and number 2 today so my judgement could be clouded as it's the most recent one.

This is so hard! I've looked at 6 nurseries and I need to stop booking any more viewings before I make myself go insane!

insancerre Sat 15-Nov-14 08:16:52

No 2
I run a nursery, I've got 20+ Yeats experience of working with preschoolers, I've got a degree in early childhood studies and I'm am Early Years Professional and I wouldn't even consider nursery number 1
Children don't need pushing to be 6 months ahead by the time they go to school. What a ridiculous statement.
Children need to play and to learn social skills and develop a sense of awe and wonder about the world. They need to be allowed to be children

PoppyWearer Sat 15-Nov-14 08:18:31

Go with your gut.

tywysogesgymraeg Sat 15-Nov-14 08:34:02

No 2.
I'd want a homely relaxed atmosphere with good outside space.

We're talking about a child of less than 5 years old FGS.

Fifibluebell Sat 15-Nov-14 08:43:38

Number 2! They are children under the age of 5 the pressures of number 1 sound too extreme. "Let them be little"

cadidog Sat 15-Nov-14 10:50:33

I had the same choice and went for number 2. Outside space plus caring staff decided it for me.

hollie84 Sat 15-Nov-14 10:51:47

2 sounds better. 1 sounds horrible, what's the point in 4 year old being 6 months ahead? It won't do them any favours at school.

PurpleStripedSock Mon 17-Nov-14 16:27:16

Honestly, I can't be the only one thinking that being 6 months ahead of the class at that agemeans that the child might get bored and fractious in lessons? I can't see it as a good thing and would rather my child go to setting number two where they are nutured rather than hot housed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now