Advanced search

no room at ds's nursery for dd when i go back to work in 6 months.

(7 Posts)
milkyjo Fri 11-Oct-13 12:35:42

I am feeling upset, partly because we should have thought about it sooner and partly because ds's nursery didn't prompt us to register dd (yes I know it's not their responsibility but they could have maybe warned us they were filling up!) So I have a few options, move ds to a new nursery where dd can go (not going to happen as ds has friends he's had since he was 11 months and he's getting on really well). Or send dd to another nursery, or have dd looked after by a childminder until a space becomes available at ds's nursery. What would you do? What are the impacts of changing childcare providers for a one year old? TIA.

Floralnomad Fri 11-Oct-13 12:39:02

How old is your DS , personally I'd be putting them both somewhere together be it a CM or a different nursery ,unless your son is leaving to go to school in September .

CajaDeLaMemoria Fri 11-Oct-13 12:41:44

I wouldn't move him. You'd have two children settling in then, and it'd be even more of a nightmare. It sounds like he is thriving, too.

Have you sat down with the nursery and asked when they may be able to take her? They might know when children are set to leave, or should at least be able to say where on the waiting list you are.

You can then see if a temporary childminder would work?

Longtallsally Fri 11-Oct-13 12:47:20

We did it the other way round, using a temporary nursery for ds2 until the childminder had a space. It was a pain but it passed.

Get her registered at ds's nursery and on the waiting list. Find a second nursery or childminder who can take dd until a space becomes available, and then you will have the option of relocating her when a space is free, or moving ds if you prefer dds nursery. It will mean double drop off/extra travelling for a while, but someone may leave dss nursery sooner than expected.

milkyjo Fri 11-Oct-13 13:06:27

Thanks, ds has just moved up to preschool but not starting school until 2015, they've bumped him up early as he is getting on well when he's had trials. Or probably to make room for more children in the other rooms! I think moving him to a new nursery would be really hard for him at this stage as his current nursery is the only childcare establishment near the primary school he will go to (other than specific preschools that take them from 2.5) and he then wouldn't be going to school with the children from a new nursery! I think I will speak to the manager of ds nursery to work out some options. He really loves preschool!

ToggyD Sat 12-Oct-13 15:26:05

Siblings are usually allowed to queue jump waiting lists. I'm surprised they know they'll be fully booked in 6 months time.

girliefriend Sat 12-Oct-13 15:29:54

I would definitely put your dd with a cm until a space becomes available,
personally I think babies do better with cms than in nursery anyway.

I wouldn't move your son if he is happy and settled.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now