Talk

Advanced search

Dog at nursery - not ok?

(8 Posts)
Orkney2005 Fri 28-Jun-13 22:23:15

The owner of the nursery my girls go to has a dog that she brings in every now and then and lets it run around freely in the nursery. Am I being unreasonable in being uncomfortable about this? Does anyone have any pointers about where there might be something about legislation that this kind of thing or it's not acceptable according to Ofsted? Any tips appreciated - thanks.

MissMarplesBloomers Fri 28-Jun-13 22:25:52

Noramlly I''d say awwww, but as there is a story in the news today about a teachers dog mauling a child maybe not?!

breatheslowly Fri 28-Jun-13 22:28:28

A carefully planned "show and tell" with dog on a lead and all the risk assessments done would be ok for me (even though today's story seems to be just that). Freely running about - not ok.

CreatureRetorts Fri 28-Jun-13 22:30:49

"normally I'd say awwww" hmm

A dog running free around a nursery with small unpredictable children?
No bloody way. I'd complain to ofsted and get my kid out of there.

ReetPetit Fri 28-Jun-13 22:36:11

I've never heard of anything like this before confused

I'd phone Ofsted and ask them!!

melliebobs Fri 28-Jun-13 22:40:05

Like others have said a controlled show n tell fantastic. If its lose it doesnt take much for a kid to freak it out and it to snap/defend itself. Disaster waiting to happen if you ask me. But at dd nursery you can't bring dogs into the grounds. Car park included.

Casmama Fri 28-Jun-13 22:41:42

My DS is allergic to dogs so I wouldn't be hugely happy either.

evelynj Fri 28-Jun-13 22:48:05

No way-the news today is just down the road from me and that was on a controlled environment. The community is distraught, it was meant. To be a last day of school treat & gone horribly wrong-the dog was a loving well looked after dog, great with kids etc & has now been put down.

Dogs should only ever be allowed around children when parent/guardian is there and oks each time IMO. They are unpredictable and excitable, as are young children. Not a good combination.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now