Talk

Advanced search

At what age do chilren start playing with each other?

(15 Posts)
CADS Wed 24-May-06 10:50:42

DS has been going nursery 2 mornings a week since he was 18mnths old (now 2.3years), on a couple of occassions his keyworker has mentioned that he either plays on his own or along side others not with them. Just wondering when do children start playing with each other. Is there anything wrong with playing 'along side' others at this age? He definitely doesn't come across as shy.

DumbledoresGirl Wed 24-May-06 10:51:22

IME sometime when they are about 3.

colditz Wed 24-May-06 10:51:40

sounds perfectly normal to me. I think nurseries expect too much sometimes, regarding sociability of babies and toddlers.

DumbledoresGirl Wed 24-May-06 10:52:27

And even then, it is still a lot of playing alongside rather than real co-operative play. I don' think you have anything to worry about. Do you think his keyworker was suggesting something was wrong or was she merely commenting?

Bozza Wed 24-May-06 10:54:14

I wouldn't have thought it was unusual at that age. DD is just 2 and she has started playing with DS but it is led by him IYSWIM. He bosses her about and if she feels like it she goes along with it or otherwise she will sit in the middle of the Happyland mat or the car mat and wind him up big time. I don't think she would play like that with another 2 yo though.

madmarchhare Wed 24-May-06 10:54:19

DS is 2.5 and does exactly the same. I think its perfectly normal.

Marne Wed 24-May-06 10:55:24

DD1 has just started to play with others , shes 2.3, she was very shy up until a few weeks ago when dd2 was born now she's i different child.
Though she is still very fussy with who she plays with.

CADS Wed 24-May-06 11:01:50

Gosh, that was quick, thanks for the replies.

Feel better. Think I am starting to worry myself because ds had speech therapy on monday and some of the questions the therapist ask were ASD type questions. His speech and understanding is delayed and now the keyworker mentioned the playing on his own/along side, I have basically jumped the gun.

Need to remind myself his delay is due to ear infections and NOTHING else.

nurseryvoice Wed 24-May-06 17:10:33

children generally play with each other when they are around the age of 3. 2 year olds usually play alongside. this is part of their development. sometimes carers need reminding about child development, so dont worry.

PiccadillyCircus Wed 24-May-06 17:12:31

DS is 2.5 and doesn't play "with" others much if at all.

I have noticed that girls his age that we know are sometimes playing with each other (while the boys play with cars mostly )

foxinsocks Wed 24-May-06 17:18:20

I would say around 3 but my first definitely didn't play with other children till she was almost 4 (as opposed to playing alongside other children which she did for ages). Nothing was ever mentioned to me and in fact, one of the older nursery staff (in her 50s) said that these types of children liked to observe other children at play rather than join in and it just took them a bit longer to suss out the whole 'play with other children' thing.

FrannyandZooey Wed 24-May-06 17:19:15

Yes perfectly normal. You do sometimes get younger ones who will play co-operatively but they are the exception at this age. I would imagine a speech / comprehension delay would affect the age co-operative play starts anyway, don't you think?

Pinotmum Wed 24-May-06 17:20:05

Around 3 yo in my experience.

hulababy Wed 24-May-06 17:45:05

2.5 - 3 years. Can be later with some children though.

CADS Thu 25-May-06 11:38:08

Thanks everyone. DS was moved up to the next age group (1mnth ago) which covers ages 2.3 to 3 years. I think he is the youngest so it would also explain the nearer 3year olds playing together.

FrannyandZooey - Yes, you are right. Should have thought of that. My dad is losing his hearing and as a result he is becoming a bit of a recluse at social occassions.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: