Talk

Advanced search

Help! I'm really confused!

(4 Posts)
FrenchRuby Mon 20-May-13 16:13:41

Hi!
I start uni in September and will be getting a childcare grant to help cover nursery fees etc. Dd has a place at nursery starting in September.
I'm so confused how the childcare grant works. The nursery is pay a month in advance, but the childcare grant says it pays over 3 intervals throughout the term, so how does that work out?
I'm awful with money and this is all goin completely over my head (how I actually got into uni I do not know).
If someone who gets or knows about the childcare grant could give me any advice I'd be extremely grateful!
Thank you smile

DialsMavis Mon 20-May-13 18:42:35

Hi, DD was in nursery while I was at University. The grant covers up to 70% of the fees, and is paid in 3 installments. You estimate your costs then give proof later. You will have to find at least the first months fees as nurseries usually need the first month up front (you may need to find another month or 2s £ out of your student loan until the grant comes through). As you are worrying about budgeting you could ask the nursery if you could pay 3 months in advance each time you get an instalment of the grant. I hope this helps, good luck! smile

FrenchRuby Mon 20-May-13 20:21:29

Thanks! That's helped a lot smile how long did it take for your grant to come through?

DialsMavis Mon 20-May-13 21:24:24

I am racking my brains trying to remember! A while I think, but we moved to a new area and I transferred to a different Uni for my final year which didn't help. I think they are fairly quick as long as you provide them with the information they need smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now