Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

2 year old funding

(6 Posts)
ElinElin Sun 05-May-13 14:36:30

Hi, my son's speech therapist said she will make a referral and he should be entitled to nursery funding (12 hours) from the age of 2. The only thing is the council has a list of nurseries who currently can receive this funding and none of the nurseries that are on that list are near where I live or they don't have suitable session times . My question is ; if I find a suitable nursery for DS can the nursery apply for the funding and are they likely to be willing to help me with this? Also if they do apply is the council likely to grant them the funding?

StrangeGlue Sun 05-May-13 14:45:27

If they aren't on the list it's normally the nursery's choice not the council's. to make ends meet they'd need more than one funded child.

But that said there is no harm I'm trying.

littlerach Sun 05-May-13 14:48:37

Where I live (and work) there is certain criteria that nurseries have to meet in order to be able to offer the funded places.
It is also a busy time of theyear an most nurseries/settings will be full.
You are best to contact the early years dept at the council and ask to speak to one of the team about it.

insancerre Sun 05-May-13 14:51:49

There is a lot of paperwork involved in funding for 2 year olds and the nurery has to meet certain criteria to receive it. They also have to have the spaces for funded 2 year olds.
Having said that, it is always asking the nursery as they may be in the process of signing up or be considering it.

badgerhead Tue 07-May-13 08:06:35

Are there any childminders near you who can accept the 2 year funding. I am a childminder who is able to accept it & care for one child under it at present. Best to talk to your local council Early Years team for the current list of places who can do it & who have spaces. Bear in mind though that there will be more children eligible for the funding from September and there is a predicted national shortfall of spaces for them.

ElinElin Tue 14-May-13 09:05:21

Thanks for your replies. My son has already been allocated the funding the speechtherapist has done a referral. However the nursery where he is on the waiting list is not on the Council's list. I spoke to the Early Years department and they said that the nursery can speak to them. I just feel it's a bit awkward cause my DS has not even started yet so I can't really ask the nursery to look in to it now? I am going to see a member of staff at the Children's centre to complete forms etc maybe she can give me more info?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now