Talk

Advanced search

Got 4 no's out of 6 applied for... what if I get 2 more?

(11 Posts)
mustrunmore Mon 15-May-06 19:16:15

Of the 2 that have not yet said no, one has no school attached, the other has a bad reputation for behaviour. I'm on waiting lists for the others, but with little chance of getting a place for ds1.What happens if he doesn't get a place anywhere? We cant afford private nursery, cant move to another area etc.

HappyMumof2 Mon 15-May-06 19:19:09

Message withdrawn

compo Mon 15-May-06 19:22:08

You don't have to go to a nusery attached to the school you go to. Have you tried nurseries in church halls?

mustrunmore Mon 15-May-06 19:24:53

Yes, nursery. I know places do come up, but we're so far down the lists of criteria. His birthday is November. One of the remaining two said they wouldn't tell me if he had a place until after his birthday, to start in January, which is leaving it a bit late for my liking.

HappyMumof2 Mon 15-May-06 19:27:37

Message withdrawn

mustrunmore Mon 15-May-06 20:07:15

He's starting a church hall nursery in July, but we can only afford one morning a week, and not until he's school age! I know he doesn't have to go to one attached to a school, but then it'll make it harder to get a reception place (even though they say there's no priority for nursery kids, of course there is).

Littlefish Mon 15-May-06 20:10:34

There really isn't a priority for Nursery children in nurseries attached to schools. Schools have very strict admissions procedures.

LIZS Mon 15-May-06 20:19:58

But he'll be entitled to free sessions (LEA scheme) from January at an approved private preschool/nursery/playgroup so perhaps you could just increase his hours at the one he is going to in the summer instead of moving him. Lots of kids dont' go to the nursery of the school they enter at Reception.

MerlinsBeard Mon 15-May-06 20:40:16

u applied to 6?? there isn't even that many in my area! I didn't have enough spaces on the fprm for that many, just 3 choices and even then i on;y put 1 down.

Don't really understand what u have applioed for tho. It was teh free nursery (preschool)place i applied for to my LEA

If u didn't like the others why did u put them down?

Trying to understand here

mustrunmore Mon 15-May-06 20:50:23

Littlefish: the admissions criteria are the same for reception though, so nothing will have changed re our chances once he gets to 5.

LIZS.. dontthink he can get a free place at that one. Plus its not very stimulating, more like a halfway house betweeen playgroup and nursery, to give me a morning with ds2.

Mumofmonsters... you dont apply centrally here, you have to trawl round them all individually, and can apply to as many as you like. I applied to the bad one and the non -school one as afterthoughts, as I had a sixth sense about not getting places at the others. And rightly so, it has turned out.

sunnydelight Tue 23-May-06 19:34:43

As most (though not all) nursery classes attached to schools run a single entry system (in September) with a November birthday I would have thought it unlikely that your child would be offered a place at most nurseries until next September - he will not be eligible for a place until the term after his 3rd birthday, i.e. January, and most popular nurseries won't have spare places by then. In January, if you live in England, he will be eligible for "nursery funding" which has just increased. It is also now available for an extra five weeks a year. I can't remember the exact details but it's currently worth about £7.80 a session - max 5 sessions a week - which won't cover a lot of private nurseries but should cover playgroups and some smaller settings. Don't get too hung up about the fact that a nursery class is attached to a school - you don't seem to believe it but getting a nursery place really is no guarantee of a place in reception. For a start, if they run sibling preference in your area a lot of places are automatically filled that way.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: