Talk

Advanced search

Angry that DD has worst nappy rash ever after a day at nursery. What can I say to them on Tuesday?

(11 Posts)
ATourchOfInsanity Sat 13-Oct-12 13:51:00

DD had her second full day (10-5) in nursery on Thursday. When I picked her up I could smell she needed changing, but, knowing kids do these things at inorpportune times, assumed she had done it in the last 5mins or so and took her into the park opposite to change her. Her bottom is so red she was screaming out when I tried to wipe it. It actually looks bloody in some places and I have spent as much time since letting her run about nappy free and smothering Waleda Cream on it whenever I have to put a nappy on, but it is not much better, even today. I am really angry with them, as she has never had nappy rash like this before, and I can only imagine how long she wasn't changed for sad

She is 14mo and only started this nursery recently. I really thought they would be trying to impress me in the first week or so, but apparently not.

Having a bad weekend as boiler broke last night, so can't even give her a nice bath and the wipes hurt her sad

I don't like confrontation tbh but can't let this go unmentioned. How should I deal with it?

Pancakeflipper Sat 13-Oct-12 13:56:30

Ask the manager about their nappy changing policy. If they don't have one tell them to get one.

The nursery we use had set times when nappies are changed in the day ( though any poo or leaky ones are done as and when required). Ask about nappy creams. Parents can provide their own nappies and cream if they wish.

Tell the manager how bad it was and that you are upset. Actually write a letter about your complaint. That tends to show how serious you are.

I would look at other places in case it happens again.

That thick yellow cream that begins with an 'm' is magic on sore bottoms.

EMS23 Sat 13-Oct-12 13:56:38

Tell them. Be nice about it but do tell them.
I had the sake problem with my DD and it was quickly resolved. I didn't say anything the first couple of times but the week she came home with bleeding skin I told them.

PixieHot Sat 13-Oct-12 13:58:52

Metanium is the cream that Pancake mentioned. It's really good, and is available in supermarkets, Boots etc. My GP even prescribed it once.

Viewofthehills Sat 13-Oct-12 14:00:24

I think if you can smell she needs changing in future when you pick her up, I would do it then and there.
Then if you have repeat of this you could show them how sore she is, then and there. It doesn't have to be long for them to get sore though- about 20 mins.

ATourchOfInsanity Sat 13-Oct-12 14:04:24

Thanks guys - they will probably be able to see how sore it is, although I really hope it is better by then. I will definitely mention it though and make sure they know I am worried. The Waleda cream has been great if she is at all red, but she's just never been this bad before.

Pancakeflipper Sat 13-Oct-12 14:04:45

That's the one Pixie - it stinks and is like glue but it magically repairs sore bums especially overnight.

NatashaBee Sat 13-Oct-12 14:13:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mycatlikestwiglets Mon 15-Oct-12 09:54:27

Agree metanium is great - you only need to use a very tiny amount and it works wonders. Do you get a daily report with details of all nappy changes? That should tell you whether she needs changing more often.

Nappy rash is a problem which my DS also had when he first started nursery, and which re-emerges every time he moves to a new room. He never gets it at home but would always be sore after a day at nursery. After a few weeks of it not improving I asked to watch one of the carers do a nappy change and discovered they weren't drying him before putting a new nappy on - such a simple thing which caused such an issue. If you find this is an ongoing problem I would recommend doing the same to see if something the nursery does is different to what you do at home. Also consider whether the gloves the nursery staff use could be causing a skin reaction.

PickledFanjoCat Mon 15-Oct-12 09:59:54

Agree with metanium it will clear it really quickly.

SamSmalaidh Mon 15-Oct-12 10:01:47

I would have mentioned it at pick up too.

They probably record every nappy change, so ask when she was last changed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now