Talk

Advanced search

Fingertip bruising on torso... What to do?

(5 Posts)
thunksheadontable Fri 12-Oct-12 23:34:48

Ds is nearly 3. Today we noticed four finger type bruises on his torso, like he was roughly held down maybe during a nappy change. He wears pull ups at home so only lies down for nappies at nursery. He hasn't reported any roughness but I am bothered. I took a pic and it comes up quite clearly. I am now feeling worried about where these came from and if it's not something that happened at nursery that he has just bruised easily because he has something wrong with him e.g. Cancer. What is best way to tackle this, if there is any? I appreciate this may sound v anxious but they really are very much like fingers grabbed him very hard prob from behind...

NosFarlotu Sat 13-Oct-12 00:39:29

Could he have been caught hard whilst falling? Fallen onto a plastic rake?

As far as health concerns go, easy bruising can be due to a virus or there are several other reasons why clotting can be impaired, there are lots of much more innocent reasons than cancer. Has he had more than this one unusual bruise to make you worry about this?

If you are specifically worried about cancer, it would tend to be leukaemia that would present with bruising as one of the earlier symptoms, some other signs to look out for at that stage would be paleness, tiredness, pain in a large bone, nosebleeds without trauma, a rash of red spots, recurrent temperatures, sores in the mouth, enlarged lymph nodes, swollen looking abdomen, bleeding of the gums when brushing teeth. One episode of odd bruising alone would not be enough to cause concern on that front, personally speaking. Hopefully this will reassure you. If he is experiencing a few of these however, a quick and simple blood test at the GP or A&E if the symptoms were severe would rule that out for you within a day.

LeChatRouge Sat 13-Oct-12 00:44:22

My niece fell off a table once and I caught her and left horrible bruises on her arm.

Ask the nursery about the bruises. There may be a reasonable explanation.

insancerre Sat 13-Oct-12 15:03:27

Ask the room leader or the manager if they had noticed the bruises or know where they came from.

TiggyD Mon 15-Oct-12 14:29:16

Report to nursery. No staff should leave that type of bruising.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now