Talk

Advanced search

Oldest at nursery?

(6 Posts)
minimisa Sat 22-Sep-12 13:29:52

My twins are now the eldest children at their nursery as all the other children went to pre-school. The school they will go to doesn't have a pre-school but I'm left feeling that the friends they've made have gone and mostly been replaced by 2 year olds. I don't thInk there's much I can do but is anyone else in this situation and if so hoe do you feel about it?

funkypigeon Sun 23-Sep-12 17:10:36

Mine is the oldest at his nursery, at coming up to 4 next month. Doesn't bother him much, he likes being the biggest boy! Doesn't bother me. He does play quite a lot with the 2 and 3 year olds, but think of it this way, they'll be the biggest there for the last time in their little lives, because when they go to school it'll be big and a bit scary for them, so I say enjoy it while it lasts!

minimisa Sun 23-Sep-12 19:47:26

I think you're right funky, it'll be nice for them to be the big boys. I need to stop worrying!

Spaghettivongole Fri 28-Sep-12 18:59:22

Minimisa, I am worrying about this for my DD too. She is the oldest and even the 2 girls who are closest in age to her are more than 6 months younger. I'm worried as it seems to be contributing to some behavioural problems - I think she bosses the others around and gets upset (er... aggressive even) when they don't want to play her games. But I don't know what we can do about it as all the pre-schools in the area are now full.

Sorry, that's not much help at all, is it!? I think however it depends very much on the child and while unfortunately it isn't suiting DD, this situation could actually be a positive thing (confidence boost maybe) for some children.

kw13 Thu 04-Oct-12 13:26:06

My DS was at nursery until just after he turned 5 - I decided not to send him to Reception (knowing that he would safely get a Yr1 place in our chosen school). He was the oldest as soon as everyone else left for Reception. It was absolutely fantastic - there were some things that he got to do on his own (the nursery were great at making be responsible for some things) and he loved the feeling of being the oldest (which is good because, of course, he is now the youngest in his class at school and will be for evermore!). It definitely depends on your LO but it can be incredibly positive. Good luck!

MousyMouse Thu 04-Oct-12 13:30:08

dc1 was the same. we decided not to send him to pre-school but to have him stay in nursery until reception started.
it did a lot of good, the staff were fantastic and involved dc in all sorts of things. mind you, dc really loves school now but that extra year just playing and being the big one was very good for dc's development and confidence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now