Talk

Advanced search

My ds starting nursery

(5 Posts)
Shaz2011 Thu 20-Oct-11 07:09:59

Hi my ds is starting nursery in a weeks time can anyone give me some advice on how to ease him in & how to prepare him for what is coming, someone told me to do the same routine that the nursery does so it's not much of a change do u think this is a good idea?

cookielove Sun 23-Oct-11 11:49:13

Firstly how old is your ds?

How many days is he going?

I would assume you are having some settling in sessions with him, before he starts his full days, if you are not then i would suggest you ask for some, we offer three as standard and then add on as many as needed after that. We generally start with an hour where mum or dad stays, and then the next an hour where child is settled then mum or dad leave, then they we extend the hour to 2 or to a morning e.t.c We do however customise this to each child.

You could bring in a comforter, a muslin that smells of you (walk around for a few days with it tucked into your top) a teddy from home, a dummy, a toy or a blanket.

Some parents have brought in photo's of them, or taken photo's of the staff so the children become accustomed of seeing the carers faces.

Shaz2011 Sun 23-Oct-11 12:17:28

Thanks we don't have settling in sessions cos the nursery don't offer them he is 2 years old & going 1 morning a week to start of with

cookielove Sun 23-Oct-11 13:09:53

Oh ok, thats a little odd, well then i would think you may have to be open to the possibility that you may have to come get him earlier, as i am a firm believer that nursery should always end on a positive and not end up with children fearing or dreading coming back.

One morning can take longer to settle as there is a longer period between nursery visits, however i have looked after several children who have done only that and settled reasonable quickly.

At two he will be able to learn that when you leave that you will come back, which will help.

You could follow the same routine as the nursery, however i don't think you would really need to as he one morning a week really would effect his routine outside of nursery.

HTH

Shaz2011 Sun 23-Oct-11 15:45:07

Ok thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now