Talk

Advanced search

How 'pushy' should I be about nursery waiting list?

(10 Posts)
Beaurevage Mon 10-Oct-11 22:13:29

Have been on the waiting list for this nursery for a year now (before DS was born) as it's typically a LONG wait in my area. The nursery opened in March and apparently (this is rumour) the original manager was shocking on the admin side. She has since been replaced. Because of this I am a little hmm at wether they've cleaned up their admin completely yet. Hence the below scenario and my question:

My choice starting time is this coming January, however I've been told there will be no spots. I stopped in today to speak to the current manager (lovely lady) and she said that their aim is to have all the spots for next year filled before the end of the year, so they're taking babies who are starting in Nov/Dec first. They will be going over the numbers in the next couple of weeks, but she thinks that if I were to put DS in a couple of days a week starting November there might be a spot for him. I said I'd be happy to do that (sad not that I want to be apart from DS yet but if it gets me a spot).

Here's the thing - she didn't write this change of request down in the file (not that I saw anyway). The file was HUGE with waiting list forms. What's the chance she's going to remember the conversation??

Am I being pushy if I call again in a couple of days to reiterate our wanting to start in November if it gets us a spot? I'm afraid it'll just annoy them ... you know, even as I write this I think I'm being silly and that I need to take matters into my own hands....

Beaurevage Mon 10-Oct-11 22:16:06

BTW - admin aside I've heard great things about this nursery. My niece went there and loved it.

Gigondas Mon 10-Oct-11 22:16:09

No call again- they are hardly ging to push you down the list and it's a reasonable request.

Plus there will probably be many more requests (usually re missing clothes IMHO wink) so might as well get the firm but reasonable request tone started.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 10-Oct-11 22:16:17

I'd ring again in a few days.

We're half way through October already, so if he's be starting next month then it wouldn't be unreasonable to start asking about settling in sessions imo.

Hope you get it all sorted.

helpmabob Mon 10-Oct-11 22:17:29

Absolutely ring again, totally reasonable

Beaurevage Mon 10-Oct-11 22:20:51

Ok good. I'll call again. Thanks all smile

TastyMuffins Mon 10-Oct-11 22:27:07

Keep calling. My DS was on the waiting list for ages for our first choice of nursery, originally I wanted part time place but changed to full time. Apparently they took us off when they heard he had another nursery despite previously telling me they never take anyone off the list so no need to keep calling! Eventually I phoned one day and they said all they could offer me was 5 days, I was a bit confused as didn't think anyone could have more, turns out they still had me on the list for part time!

Beaurevage Mon 10-Oct-11 22:40:11

Errrr, ok. Definitely taking the lead on this one then! Thanks for the warning Tasty!

splatt Tue 11-Oct-11 08:21:16

Keep calling.
BTW I would be seriouly irritated if I'd been on the list longer but was bing passed over because wanted to start later IYSWIM

Beaurevage Tue 11-Oct-11 09:14:35

I'm also very hmm about that splatt. But then I don't understand how this nursery thing works - just figured that I've heard of more random and non-sensical things in my life so accepted it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now