Talk

Advanced search

Nursery dilemma, please help

(5 Posts)
manchestermummy Sun 02-Oct-11 14:27:00

Long story, apologies.

DD1 has been at a private nursery since she was 7 months old and was very, very happy there until some of the staff moved around and the pre-school (where they go aged 3) was staffed by girls who seemed inexperienced in this age group (they looked after DD1 on the baby floor). Some of the behaviour was horrendous and I would often go to pick up DD1 to see kids running around completely uncontrolled. DD1's behaviour was getting steadily worse at home too, put it down to her yound sibling and jealousy but something just didn't feel right.

As DD1 had got on so well at the nursery, we sent DD2 there over the summer when I went back to work. She was 8 months. We got our first bill for the two of them and nearly died (part-time place too). So I found a place for DD1 at a school nursery two days a week and she absolutely loves it. And we are not as skint. All good.

Meanwhile, DD2 is having a bad time at nursery. She was a bit off to start, then was fine, but is now screaming when we leave her and although I do know this stops as I can hear that it does, she doesn't exactly look happy when I go for her. Last week, when I dropped her off a bit later than usual, one of the nursery nurses was trying to get a baby to go to sleep and had put a sheet over her head, presumably to make it dark? I don't know, but I can't get this out of my head.

I'm thinking of calling it a day with this nursery and finding either another nursery of a childminder, but am I just going crazy? DD2's been there for over two months now and I would expect her to be happier being left now. Is this length of time the norm? She's 10 months.

I know that's a bit of a ramble but I'm so confused.

I may vanish to get DD2 from her nap soon but all advice would be greatly appreciated.

mellowcat Sun 02-Oct-11 15:12:36

I think you know the answer to this one and should trust your gut instinct.

I would take her out immediately and make a complaint to Ofsted. Babies should not have sheets put over their heads - ever. How frightening for the baby apart from anything else.

menopausemum Thu 06-Oct-11 20:52:49

I've come across the sheet issue before and you are right - it shouldn't be happening. I would agree with mellowcat, your child is telling you in the only way she can that she doesn't like the place - I would listen to her and also make a complaint to Ofsted naming names.

ChippingIn Thu 06-Oct-11 20:56:17

A sheet over the babies head? Over the buggy/cot maybe - but over the babies head?? No.

It doesn't sound good to me nor does your daughters reaction, although having said that my friends 10 month old took about 3 months to settle and now at 16 months she loves going and waves mummy good bye quite happily!

redglow Thu 06-Oct-11 22:26:11

Thing is the nursery worker could be doing that to your baby when you are not there. Trust your gut instinct and take her out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now