Talk

Advanced search

Nursery Kitlist

(9 Posts)
toobreathless Fri 09-Sep-11 20:35:57

Hi,

Please excuse a rather daft question. My DD will be starting nursery next April at 12 months. I'm one of those people who likes to be rather organised!

I was wondering what will she need? I assume clothes that I don't mind getting mucky. The nursery doesn't have any kind of uniform as such. I'm guessing I need to label everything? How many spare changes of clothes do I need to drop her off with? The nursery have told me she will need wellies once she is walking.

Will I be expected to drop her off with milk? - she is EBF at present, if I drop her off with expressed milk will they be able to store this? Slightly complicated as she has CMP allergy so can't have cows milk.

Many thanks.

inmysparetime Fri 09-Sep-11 22:37:21

2 complete changes of clothes with initials written on the labels in ballpoint pen or sharpie should be sufficient.
4 or 5 bibs dependent on dribbliness.
Nurseries should have no problem storing EBM, you can express into special sealable bags which can freeze or be in the fridge until needed, then defrost in the microwave or a jug of warm water.
As it gets colder, you'll need outer layers, coat, hat, scarf, mittens etc, all labelled, and please label shoes, as there are usually only a very few clarks styles and there's always another kid with the same shoe in a slightly different size. Once the shoes are off for sleep time there's no way to work out whose were whose.
If your child has a comfort object, source another 2 or 3 so you don't have to rummage through all the nursery toys to find it at 6.00.
I work in a day nursery and it's really frustrating when you change a child with a leaked nappy, only to find the bag has a too-small t shirt and a pair of socks.

Jcee Sat 10-Sep-11 21:39:49

I send DD in with 2 full changes of clothes each day and sometimes she gets through them all so by Friday that's a lot of washing and clothes to own! I buy multiple packs of long sleeve t-shirts and leggings which seem to stand up to loads of washing and buy stuff I won't mind if it goes missing and gets mucky and stained.

She currently has her teddy (we bought one especially to use at nursery after a few instances of what inmysparetime describes) a sun hat, suncream, teething gel and bum cream in her bag. We use a cotton shopping bag which I wrote her name on as her nursery bag and it's been ideal.

I got sew in name labels for the big stuff, some small personalised name stickers on ebay for her shoes, suncream etc and i just initial everything else on the label with pen.

toobreathless Sat 10-Sep-11 23:16:35

Thanks for the advice: very useful. I have taken note & am already starting labelling things (with iron on labels).

I was wondering, my DD is in reusable nappies (Totsbots), would it be possible to send her to nursery with a wet bag for dirty nappies & the reusables? they are as quick to put on as disposables & leak much less (hardly ever.) or am I asking a bit much?

TheMitfordsMaid Sat 10-Sep-11 23:23:56

I'm pretty sure I have never come across anyone planning a kit list this far in advance. Did you sort Christmas 4 months ago? grin

I bet you carry three sorts of antiseptic cream, don't you?

teenytinybubba Sat 10-Sep-11 23:25:59

toobreathless - each nursery is different but in my nursery we provide the nappies, but would use reusables at the parents request if they supplied them. All you can do is ask/request that your nursery use them!

BikeRunSki Sat 10-Sep-11 23:40:20

All the stuff as above, then DS needed a toothbrush too when he was 2.

Our nursery was happy to use our cloth nappies, and gave me the dirty ones at the end of each day in a dry bag. I sent DS in with a day's worth every day, but he had a pack of disposables at nursery in case he ran out of cloth ones one day.

Definitely label everything - but don't start now - will it still fit in April?

And a distinctive bag to put it all in. With name on in big letters.

HTH

toobreathless Sun 11-Sep-11 20:22:28

Thank you!

TheMitfordsMaid: no, I don't carry three types of antiseptic wipes :-) I have a big set of professional exams in March so want to get as much sorted as possible in advance.

I am naming stuff in appropriate sizes for next April onwards clearly!

PorkChopSter Sun 11-Sep-11 20:35:08

Send her in with the cloth nappies, otherwise you'll have another set of clothes that only fit in disposables grin

I'd send in every day (all labelled):
1 wet bag, 4 nappies, 2 wraps, wipes (if disposable can stay at nursery)
1 change of clothes
Milk in bottles to warm up
Cuddly

Leave there overnight:
Wellies
Hat, coat, scarf or hat/sun cream
Toothbrush and toothpaste (if that's what the nursery do)
A few disposable nappies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now