Talk

Advanced search

Nursery asking for money even though my daughter no longer attends

(10 Posts)
trinity1 Thu 08-Sep-11 11:48:19

Please excuse me if I'm being super stupid, but here goes:

Daughter attended Nursery for the funded sessions. I paid extra for Wednesday mornings as I work and would pick her up after lunch. This was charged at £97 per month. As it was becoming more difficult to collect her on time due to the ridiculous level of traffic in the area, I managed to secure a place for her at a Nursery closer to home (was my first choice, but they had no spaces at that time). I wrote to the Nursery letting them know she was leaving and I had paid up to the end of the month. She attended termly, but I still had to pay for the Summer Holidays even though she wasn't there. I received an email this morning asking me to settle outstanding fees. What outstanding fees??? If she didn't start back at the beginning of the Autumn term, presumably I shouldn't have to pay anything, or am I missing something?

In addition, if anyone can explain 'half-fees' to me, I'd be eternally grateful as I think this particular Nursery is being a little naughty with their figures wink

trinity1 Thu 08-Sep-11 11:54:00

Update - I have just received another email stating that as I failed to give them a month's notice I have to pay September's fees in addition to paying subs to the new Nursery. Am a single parent of 2 children working part time. I have never known a Nursery to be so money-grabbing...angry

Ragwort Thu 08-Sep-11 11:56:56

Check the paperwork - did you sign a contract about how much notice you had to give etc. Some nurseries ask for half a term's notice.
When exactly did you let them know that your daugher would be not be returning? Have you kept a copy of the original letter you sent them?

HoneyPablo Thu 08-Sep-11 11:59:30

If it says in your contract that they require a month's notice then there is nothing you can do.
I get your point, but the nursery is there to make money. How could they operate if they didn't?
How much notice did you actually give them?
I think that the only option is to phone and speak to someone in person and ask if they are willing to negotiate.

trinity1 Thu 08-Sep-11 12:00:34

I honestly don't remember. My eldest daughter went there under the funding agreement, then my youngest started straight afterwards. I'm probably being thick, but I just don't recall. I sent them an email. I still have it on file.

trinity1 Thu 08-Sep-11 12:01:59

My fault. I had better put my hands up and open my purse! Is a bloody pity Daddy doesn't pony up for fees. Thanks all x

nurseryvoice Thu 08-Sep-11 17:06:28

not sure what/why is happened.
Did you give a months notice or not? by email?
If you did then you dont owe any money. Or are you saying its your fault because youve looked at your email and you havent given notice?

trinity1 Thu 08-Sep-11 23:17:12

Wasn't aware I had to give a months notice. Signed an agreement for my eldest daughter when she went to the nursery (months notice was not on her agreement) not for my youngest. When I asked the Nursery to email me a copy of the agreement with my signature on it they couldn't as they don't have one on file for her. I completed a form detailing all her immunisations/that I had no problem them administering Calpol if necessary etc. I emailed the Nursery on the 29th Aug letting them know my daughter wouldn't be returning. They sent me an email 9 days later telling me to come in and pay outstanding monies. I didn't know a months notice had to be given. Whether my not signing any agreement means I don't have to pay the outstanding monies - I'm sure the Nursery will let me know.

nicky24 Thu 15-Sep-11 20:23:22

If they don't have the contract with your signature in it then they have no proof of you signing anything so therefore you owe nothing smile

Isla77 Fri 16-Sep-11 12:24:50

I agree with Nicky24 and if they did not give you a contract to sign they have acted illegally. Ask them to send you a copy of the contract signed by you and when they cannot do so let them know you feel you should not have to pay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now