Talk

Advanced search

10 month old falling asleep on cushions

(12 Posts)
Mcyorkshire Tue 02-Aug-11 22:48:41

Please tell me if I'm over-reacting...I'm afraid I'm feeling a little emotional and therefore not entirely rational. DS is nearly 9 months old and started mornings at nursery yesterday as I'm returning to work part-time. I was initially worried that he wouldn't sleep very well at nursery but he napped about an hour yesterday in his cot which was great. I picked him up today and the worker mentioned that he'd had two naps; one in his cot and then later he had crawled to some cushions and fallen asleep.

This felt a bit sad really... My little baby taking himself to sleep. I was really happy with the nursery. It is ofsted outstanding and friends of ours send their little ones too but now I'm worried that the nursery workers aren't picking up on the fact he is tired, either that or he is left to his own devices a lot. Am I over reacting?

RitaMorgan Tue 02-Aug-11 22:52:46

Well, they are only just getting to know him aren't they? It'll take more than one session for them to recognise when he's tired.

How many children/staff are there in the room? Does he have a normal naptime?

CointreauVersial Tue 02-Aug-11 22:55:32

You are over-reacting. Better that he can take himself off to sleep rather than wind himself up getting tired and overwrought.

He was probably tired out with all the stimulation and fun.

EveryonesJealousOfWeasleys Tue 02-Aug-11 22:57:15

That is quite lovely in a way, he is capable of recognising when he needs a nap and independent enough to take himself off for one. Presumably they are not letting him get beside himself and collapse in a state of distressed exhaustion?

I find that 17mo DD needs an extra nap on her days with me after she's been with the CM for a couple of days - the CM is so exciting she is knackered! I really wouldn't worry - in hindsight I now realise that I didn't give DD enough credit for her flexibility when she was that age. He will be having a lovely time smile

DuelingFanjo Tue 02-Aug-11 22:59:00

I hope my DS does this when he goes. I am worried about how they will get him tosleep as he is rocked now. If he can self settle on some cushions then I think it would be a good thng. I personally would rather that than him not sleeping at all.

RitaMorgan Tue 02-Aug-11 22:59:01

At my ds's nursery he's in a 0-2 room. They have cots for the smaller babies, and low beds for the older ones - the sleep room has free access so the toddlers can take themselves to bed and get themselves up when they want. I really like that!

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Tue 02-Aug-11 23:01:56

Weeellll... when I went to look round our current nursery, they showed me the room with the cots for the small babies but also the comfy corner they had set up with cushions, which at the time had two little boys snoozing peacefully in it. Although both of our DCs were more ones for regular "naps" in bed rather than just conking out, I actually thought it was quite nice that if one of them felt like a sleep they could just crawl over there and curl up when they wanted.

Also if they are happy to go over and snuggle up there for a nap unprompted, I would think it is a good sign that they feel relaxed and "at home" there, and are not getting too wound up with all the activity.

Look at it another way. You have a 10mo who feels secure enough at his new nursery to settle himself to sleep when he's tired.

Mcyorkshire Tue 02-Aug-11 23:02:24

Thanks... I suspected I might be unreasonable...PFB and I'm second guessing everything about returning to work at the moment. He does have a normal nap routine at home although I guess it's going to take some time to establish this at nursery. Approx 12 babies in the room and 4-5 staff so I guess it's a much more "stimulating environment" than he's used to. I really need to relax about the whole thing.

RitaMorgan Tue 02-Aug-11 23:03:56

Wow, that's a busy baby room!

EveryonesJealousOfWeasleys Tue 02-Aug-11 23:08:03

You will honestly look back on it and realise you could have relaxed, but I was exactly the same when DD first started with the CM. Just bear in mind he might be more tired on his days at home and need more naps then than he has at nursery. It is far harder for the mum than it is for the baby!

Scarfmaker Sun 14-Aug-11 21:33:56

If your nearly 9 month old is going to just catnap on cushions on the floor, in a room with 12 babies, this would maybe be ok. I would just ask if the workers could put him in a cot somewhere if it was his main sleep of the day.

If he has a normal naptime, the staff should pick up on this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now