Talk

Advanced search

15 hours free nursery - not in Cardiff?

(10 Posts)
DuelingFanjo Thu 14-Jul-11 21:38:05

I was talking to a friend recently about the 15 hours free nursery allocation and she seems to be under the impression that in Cardiff you don't get it.

is this true?

mumatron Thu 14-Jul-11 21:40:43

afaik you get it for every child over 2. the hv was telling me a few weeks back. haven't heard about any changes to it.

DuelingFanjo Thu 14-Jul-11 21:45:43

ah - ok. I thought it was over 3?

My friend was really insistant that they don't do it in Cardiff and that she complained in person to Rhodri Morgan - her kids are older now so this would have been a few years ago.

mumatron Thu 14-Jul-11 21:51:39

have a look here

iirc your very close to me and i'm entitled, It's not means tested just dependant on living in certain areas.

DuelingFanjo Thu 14-Jul-11 21:55:59

hmm, Yes I am near you but my son will be going to a nursery near where I work so I wonder if the free hours are transferable.

mumatron Thu 14-Jul-11 22:01:06

ah, never thought of that. dd's nursery isn't near where we live either confused

I have a feeling it depends on the nursery being registered to that scheme.

I'll ask hv next time dd gets weighed.

suzikettles Thu 14-Jul-11 22:21:05

It really annoys me when the government (and I include the previous government in this) says that the 12/15 hours is free childcare and helps out working parents.

It's 15 hours of free pre-school education and some councils are not providing this in a way that is accessible to working parents.

In Glasgow, for example, the council is cutting back on the number of "Partnership" places that private nurseries can offer. The nursery needs to have Partnership status to be able to offer the free session. Not only are the number of Partnership nurseries limited, they no longer are automatically given the same number of funded places as children in the setting, so some children will not qualify for funding.

Glasgow justifies this by saying that there are enough places in council run nurseries, however most working parents cannot access these without also paying for a childminder to pick up/drop off, plus paying the cm obviously for the hours the child is actually at nursery as they wouldn't be able to fill the place for such short sessions.

So, the child would indeed get their 15hrs nursery education. Tick for Glasgow. But the parent would not save any money on childcare.

I don't have a problem with the government channelling money into pre-school education. I DO have a problem when they say that this is "free childcare" and a way that they are helping working parents. This might be the case in many places but it's by no means universal.

<And breathe...>

Sorry, this isn't really the point of your post, but it's a real bugbear of mine.

princesbold Tue 19-Jul-11 16:20:03

Some private nurseries choose not to offer the funding at all, this is due to the fact that the government tells the nursery what they are going to be paid for the free hours, nurseries in certain locations will simply not be able to cover the costs of providing the cover at the rate the givernment will pay.
Pretty much going the way of the NHS Dentist, and State Education, if you want good quality on these two you simply have to go private.

beissan Sat 10-Jan-15 14:18:01

I heard this before that there are nurseries with this 15h free .
Can any one of you tell me of some of these nurseries in Cardiff since all I can find in the internet are privet nurseries with an expensive fees !!
I am moving to cardiff after about 2 months please any help.

dementedpixie Mon 12-Jan-15 09:40:43

https://www.cardiff.gov.uk/ENG/resident/Schools-and-learning/Schools/Applying-for-a-school-place/Nursery/Pages/Nursery.aspx - you should have started a new thread as this is a very old one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now