Talk

Advanced search

Initial nursery settling in visit - what to expect?

(4 Posts)
WorrisomeHeart Fri 01-Jul-11 08:26:39

My 8 mth old DS has his first nursery session next week and I was wondering what to expect - is it likely to just be a form-filling exercise with them taking down his info or will we meet his key worker? I know all nurseries are different, just interested to hear others experiences.

KSal Fri 01-Jul-11 09:07:58

At our nursery the first session was spent with his keyworker and me. There was some form filling of the day to day routine type - finding out about dietary requirements, food preferences, comforters, nap times (if any!) . It is a good opportunity to let the keyworker know all the things you think they need to know about your DS.

sessions after that were spent just with the keyworker (i.e. I waited in the building but not in the room with them).

Hope that is helpful!

notcitrus Fri 01-Jul-11 09:18:14

At mine, ds and I joined in in Baby Room and he played while I chatted to the keyworker as they wanted to know anything useful about him and they talked about how they usually went about things - so I explained he really wasn't a routine baby but if he had his blanket would fall asleep anywhere when he felt like it, and they explained the general routine they have but assured me they wouldn't force him into it, but that peer pressure meant it would probably happen naturally after a few weeks. And that they'd keep meals for him if he slept through mealtime.

What they forgot to mention was what I ought to bring with him - they said nappies and wipes and change of clothes, but didn't say A5 book to write daily reports in, sippy cup, or shoes, so I had to run around trying to buy those after his first full day, when I was worried about work!

So we had 2 hours with me there, then a 2-hours without me, then half a day without me, before he started full days. But my ds was always happy to play anywhere new and never cared who was looking after him as long as someone would cuddle him lots. Other children had more settling in with parents.

WorrisomeHeart Fri 01-Jul-11 09:21:36

Great, thanks both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now