Talk

Advanced search

Took child out of nursery after 1 day - did I do the right thing?

(14 Posts)
acasey81 Thu 16-Jun-11 13:34:18

It was my son Max first day at nursery this week and he won't be going back! He is 8 months old. On day one I received a call at work asking what milk he used - a bit annoying as they were already supplied with info as to what milk he uses, nappies etc.

When I went to pick him up, they told me he had an accident and had bruise on his head - bad luck to happen on first day I thought! But I know accidents happen.

Then when I went to put him in car I realised he had someone elses socks on! I started wondering if they had been watching him at all.

They are meant to use the nappies I use i.e. Pampers but he came home in an un-named brand - not a massive problem but still they should do what they claim to do!

The next day in the afternoon when changing Max nappy I found a piece of blue material in his poo, about 1.3 inches long which he must have managed to swallow the day before at nursery! I couldn't believe he had managed to swallow this and he must have had it in his mouth some time and they hadn't noticed. He could have easily choked on it.

I initially complained straight away but later decided that for all that to happen on day one, they can't be supervising him properly and he won't be going again. I wouldn't be able to trust them.

Am I just being an overprotective mum or would you have done the same?

The nursery has been very hostile and I am losing one month nursery fees which in my opinion they should be giving back under the circumstances as I have lost total confidence in their ability to look after my child.

Katiebeau Thu 16-Jun-11 13:39:15

Oh God, I was expecting more of "DC cried so I took them home", not this. YANBU - report it all to OFSTED and tell them that is what you are doing, especially if they insist on taking the fee. The blue material would have freaked me out. The bruise no (not if it's the kind of thing they do at home), the socks weren't a problem anymore once I made them find ours twice before leaving smile

wannaBe Thu 16-Jun-11 13:39:34

I would report them to ofsted.

Katiebeau Thu 16-Jun-11 13:43:45

Oh and the branded nappies versus not - I called out our previous nursery on this, false advertising.

acasey81 Thu 16-Jun-11 13:49:22

I have told them I will sue them for the one month notice if they don't give me it back as far as I am concerned they failed to provide proper care and that gives me a right to end contract there and then.

If it was just the bump and the socks, fair enough sometimes these things happen but on day one a bit bad, you think they would take extra care.

I am going to report to ofsted and may also speak to local paper just to really get to them. I will be down about £400 but his safety comes first.

The attitude of the owner was absolutely disgusting, he refused to discuss over phone and just went on about what 'exceptional' childcare they have provided for 4 years!

princesbold Thu 16-Jun-11 18:43:27

It does not sound good, this business is still under the confines of the sales of goods and services act, involve trading standards if they refuse to offer you a full refund. Did they have an outstanding ofsted judgement ? Exceptional childcare could mean exceptionally bad childcare.

BranchingOut Thu 16-Jun-11 18:48:18

I would be quite shocked about the accident to be honest, is he crawling or pulling up to stand? It strikes me that 8 month olds are often sitting up and quite static, so not so much potential for head bumps. So what caused it?

Kidzallowed Thu 16-Jun-11 20:38:10

I work in a nursery in Ireland and have to say that over here, if your child had an accident and banged his head on something , there should be a accident report book that states the time, explanation of accident, who was present, action taken afterwards - cold compress, comfort, etc. The person in charge has to sign the book, as does the Manager and the parent. You would not be presented with a bruised baby and no explanation. I would report them too. They give good creches a bad rep.

princesbold Thu 16-Jun-11 20:41:06

It's the same in the UK as well.

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 16-Jun-11 20:46:44

Any blow to the head at all and dd's nursery phone me straight away to let me know. I would have taken him out too if I were you.

mani83 Fri 24-Jun-11 21:44:42

I would report them right away, I actually signed up to this site just to say that while googling for nurseries for my boy. That is terrible!

US2LON Tue 28-Jun-11 22:39:08

acasey81 ,if your kid behaved normally after the bruise , its ok ,dont get worried. But YOU are definitely lucky that the blue thing didnt choke him. I am in the process of researching few nurseries in my area and have learnt that for babies under 2 , the average care taker to kids ratio is 1:3. And most nurseries have a limit of max 6 babies in that range. Your story really gets me wondering as to what in the world were they doing when your child was putting this blue stuff in his mouth and falling /rolling to bruise himself etc. Also the change of diaper brand can cause diaper rashes for such lil ones. On the other hand , making the babies wear someone else's diaper also means that they are using up someone else's stock ??? I would not like this to happen all the time. If I am paying for organic diapers, I want them on my babies behind.
YOU SHOULD REPORT THEM, EVEN IF THEY RETURN YOUR FEES. They are truly UNPROFESSIONAL in my opinion , they could have apologized at the least.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Tue 28-Jun-11 23:30:05

Different nappy is potentially a problem. My DD got a horrible reaction when I had to use Pampers on her. You don't want a sore bottom when it could've been avoided. Everything else also a red flag. you made the right decision.

jaabaar Thu 28-Jul-11 23:31:51

...... and what is the name of this nursery?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now