Talk

Advanced search

Please reassure me about DD's new nursery

(7 Posts)
Stangirl Wed 08-Jun-11 17:48:50

DD has been in nursery fulltime since 1 yo. Last week I started maternity leave and so had to move DD (now 16months) to a nursery closer to home where she will be going 2 days a week. In preparation for this I visited about 10 local nurseries. My favourite won't have a place for her until Sept/Oct. I did however like the second choice one that she is in - it basically seemed safe, good food, good range of activities, happy children etc etc. I have now taken her there for two days and I must say I have mixed views on the staff. Some are lovely but some seem to just be of the "whatever" mentality and can barely raise a "hello" when I arrive. They also don't say "bye" to my DD. When I arrived this afternoon all the toddlers were just mooching round the room whilst Beauty and the Beast played on a TV (which I had not noticed before). Many of the staff I have now met don't seem to smile at all whereas at previous nursery everyone carried on like they were on happy pills. They give me a written report of her daily activities but unlike her previous nursery the staff don't actually tell you what she did/how she fared. DD seems happy enough. Is this sort of standard for nurseries?

littleducks Wed 08-Jun-11 17:52:48

I would be seriously unimpressed, is there a settling in period in your contract? I would closely monitor this and take her out if it doesnt seem to improve

Spagbolagain Wed 08-Jun-11 17:54:29

I wouldn't be happy with that at all, and I would be seeing the manager.
They should do a proper handover with you at the end of the day, where they tell you how she has been. And they should at least be polite and pleasant if not happy!

I would raise concerns with the manager and see what the response is. Based on that, you can decide whether you are happy to leave her there for 3months, if you are still happy that it's safe etc if not ideal. Or whether you want to sort something else in the interim.
Poor you, it's very difficult!

RitaMorgan Wed 08-Jun-11 18:10:52

If the staff are miserable and grumpy then that would be it for me - if the staff aren't enjoying their jobs it isn't good for the children.

purepurple Wed 08-Jun-11 18:40:05

Doesn't sound good. I was on door duty today and feel like crap, full of a cold, but I still managed to smile and greet each parent and child with their name and the same on the way out. It really isn't that hard.
We don't do written reports in our room because we like to speak to the parent and give them verbal feedback about what they have eaten, any sleep, what they have done and what they have enjoyed.

babybouncer Wed 08-Jun-11 21:28:24

I wouldn't be happy, but I do think it's worth arranging to see the nursery manager to talk this through and see how they respond to it. If you don't like what they have to say, move.

menopausemum Thu 09-Jun-11 20:27:40

I bet the nursery manager knows d**mn well what the care is like and either can't or wont do anything about it. See if you can get someone to pop in unannounced to collect your child and check on what is going on at different times of the day then if it doesn't improve - LEAVE.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now