Talk

Advanced search

Is it better to have days in a block or spread out?

(9 Posts)
cangaroo Wed 08-Dec-10 21:57:08

My DS (8 months)is due to start nursery in January. He will be going two days a week. Originally I had planned that he would go thursday and friday. But someone has suggested that in their experience, it is better to spread the days out if possible. My employer is flexible about the days that I am in work, so I thought that tuesdays and thursdays might be better? Does anyone have any experience or advice to share? Thanks!

beachyhead Wed 08-Dec-10 22:10:07

Personally, I think a block, particularly for two days, is better. It gets them into the routine for those days and gives you two days out as well. If you add a third, I would add Tuesday, as three days in a row may be too much.

cangaroo Wed 08-Dec-10 22:30:20

Thanks, that is really helpful. I guess that I thought that it might break it up for him a bit while he gets used to the environment, but I can see that it might be better just to get him into the routine of going for two days in a row.

Rhian82 Fri 10-Dec-10 16:04:19

I think a block is better. DS has been going Weds-Friday since he was 6 months, he's now 2.1. It's worked well - we have two days family time (weekend), two days DS and Mummy time (Mon-Tues), then three days at nursery. I think that routine works well for him.

Shortninbread Fri 10-Dec-10 22:43:44

My DD does Mon, Tues, Wed at nursery. By Thurs she is knackered and we stay at home, proper afternoon sleep and rest time etc.

I far prefer it in a block, especially because they pick up so many colds and illnesses that take a day or two to manifest, so if you spread days out it may result in having to take more time off work.

ninja Fri 10-Dec-10 22:46:06

I agree - in a block. When DD started I did a block of three days, then the e=next yesr she did Tue, Wed Fri - she was definitely more unsettled not being in the same routine

zoezebraa Wed 05-Jan-11 21:00:41

I disagree. DS did monday and wednesday from 10months old and I liked the fact it was one day in nursery, one day with me, so did he.

Scarfmaker Wed 05-Jan-11 23:17:05

I;m a childminder and in my experience two or three full days without breaks is better than breaking up the days.

stretchmark Thu 06-Jan-11 19:03:43

I disagree too, tho i dont think it will really make a difference as your ds is so young(my ds was 8 months too when i went back to work and didnt even kno i was going or get excited when i came back at 1st, quite disheartening!)

I work 3 days a week so do mon weds and friday tho i'll be honest its coz i didnt want to do block days as on nursery days i literally rush about in morning getting him to work and me to nursery, then pick him up, get him home, get him his dinner, then its pretty much time for his bath and bedtime routine, and well, i miss him (so sad) which is why i prefer days spread out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now