Talk

Advanced search

waiting times for nurseries

(7 Posts)
gallicgirl Sun 21-Nov-10 21:51:53

I haven't approached nurseries yet and I'm only just beginning to look around and think about what we want.

I was wondering if it is typical to have to put my child on a waiting list for a nursery place and how long that wait might be? I'm aware that ratios for babies mean that most nurseries have less places available for children under 2 so I'm not sure how long I might have to wait. I'm thinking of going back to work when baby is around 9 months old but have no idea how soon I might have to make a decision about which nursery I want my baby to go to.

Thanks

MoonUnitAlpha Sun 21-Nov-10 21:54:11

It really depends - my excellent local children's centre nursery has a 12 month waiting list for under 2s.

Only way you'll know is to call your local nurseries and ask.

BikeRunSki Sun 21-Nov-10 21:58:51

I was advised by a colleague to look asap, as she had had to come back to work Mon, Wed, Fri because they were the only days she could get, which was a bit hotch potch for everyone.

We looked when DS was about 3 weeks old, loved our local village nursery and booked him in a few days later. Over a year later, no regrets.

The important thing is to find somewhere you are happy with. I don't think you can book in too soon, but you could be too late.

You can get a list of registered child care providers in your area from your local authority Family Information Service - may also be called Children's and Young People Info Service, something along those lines.

gallicgirl Sun 21-Nov-10 22:12:09

Thanks. I meant to ask as well that would you worry that a nursery without a waiting list was maybe not very good?

I'll check out FIS and I know to check Ofsted reports and so on.

BikeRunSki Sun 21-Nov-10 22:20:45

Vist some places and see how you feel too.

No waiting list could be several things -
- Taking on more staff/space to reduce waiting list
- Low birth rate in area for a particular year
- Parents being made redundant
- Another nursery or CM setting up nearby
- Nursery not very good!

mnistooaddictive Sun 21-Nov-10 22:28:33

Around here none of them had a waiting list, so don't let if put you off.

milly44 Fri 26-Nov-10 15:29:39

Depends where you are but in a good nursery expect to be on a waiting list for between 6 months and 1 year for under 2s.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now