Talk

Advanced search

Quick questionnaire about reading with babies and children

(11 Posts)
MEDIA: PhD researcher Sat 04-Jul-20 23:36:20

Parent/carer of a 0-5 baby/child or pregnant & in the UK?
Please help researchers learn more about when and why parents and carers read with their babies or children. Click here to take part: ReadingSurvey

What is the study?
This questionnaire looks at parents' feelings about reading with babies and children. It is open to anyone who is the parent, carer or guardian of a baby, child/children ages 5 years or under or who is pregnant or expecting a baby, and who lives in the UK, including Northern Ireland. It takes about 5 minutes to complete.

How is the study being carried out?
You will complete a short (3 minute) online questionnaire about reading with children. No personal identifying information will be collected. Your data will be processed in accordance with the UK's Data Protection Act 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). Data collection is taking place through a secure online survey platform and all data will be stored on password-protected devices for up to ten years. Data will only be viewed by the named research team.

How will the results be used?
The data will be used by researchers at the University of Swansea who are investigating the value of a book-gifting programme and by the organisation running the book-gifting programme. The results of the study will be published and the data may be shared with other organisations who are interested in supporting reading.

Is it voluntary?
This survey is voluntary, and you can leave the survey at any time without finishing it and your answers will not be kept. There are no questions that will identify who you are – this survey is anonymous, so it will not be possible to identify and remove your data at a later date, should you decide to withdraw from the study.

Who is carrying out the research?
Caroline Zwierzchowska-Dod PhD Researcher (dollyslibrary@swansea.ac.uk) supervised by Dr Janet Goodall (j.s.goodall@swansea.ac.uk) & Dr Amanda Bateman (a.j.bateman@swansea.ac.uk) from the School of Education, Swansea University.

This data collection and research project has been approved by the College of Arts & Humanities Research Ethics Committee at Swansea University. Please contact us if you have any questions.

Thank you for taking the time to take part in this research.

OP’s posts: |
TitianaTitsling Sat 04-Jul-20 23:42:13

Done but disappointed you had 'gender identity' as male/female.

EarlofEggMcMuffin Sun 05-Jul-20 00:40:14

Oh for goodness sake!

"What is my gender identity?"
Why, oh why would you ask that?
what scientific information can that possibly give you.

user7819 Sun 05-Jul-20 14:47:59

Titiana, Stonewall discusses gender identify, which is why I chose that phrase. The options are female, male, non-binary, prefer not to say and other with space to comment. Biological sex wasn't as relevant a question for my analysis.

user7819 Sun 05-Jul-20 14:49:36

Earl, I want to correlate answers by gender to answer questions such as 'how often do dads read with their children'. The gender here is more important than the biological sex (when or if that differs).

TitianaTitsling Sun 05-Jul-20 14:55:28

So is your research for Stonewall?

EarlofEggMcMuffin Sun 05-Jul-20 15:35:22

"How often do dads read with their children"

Can you not see how bonkers that is- a father is a person of the male sex. Even if (s)he identifies as female, (s)he cannot be biologically anything other than male.

And given that there is a high correlation between men reading to their children, or men reading in the environment of children (e.g. male teachers being observed reading in school environments) and children's reading age levels, surely, it then becomes even more important to be absolutely clear about the sex of respondents.

user7819 Sun 05-Jul-20 16:04:46

Titania, no it is not.
Earl, no, I'm interested in how they identify & live their lives not their genitals.

As I think that these comments are driven by transphobia, I will no longer be participating in further comments here. Thank you for your time in completing the questionnaire.

EarlofEggMcMuffin Sun 05-Jul-20 16:50:08

Hi User, I think that is such a pity.

This is such an important topic; improving reading levels at pre-school age is so important for long term educational outcomes.

Can you please point out to me which of my comments is "driven by transphobia" .
And, as tone does not translate online, let me clarify, that statement is that I am genuinely puzzled about what I said that is "transphobic"?

TitianaTitsling Sun 05-Jul-20 16:53:24

That's disappointing as I don't see how you have extrapolated that from the questions. You said you are following Stonewalls guidelines so that was what lead to mine, I don't see how this question then leads to a transphobic view.

TitianaTitsling Sun 05-Jul-20 17:06:08

And just agreeing with the importance of reading- in Scotland we use bookbug and it's absolutely invaluable to the increase of uptake in reading for children and their families so I was actually very pleased to take part in your survey!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in